Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2010 11:00

Inspiron 1564 integrated webcam issue

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing some problems with the integrated webcam of my inspiron 1564. I bought it on March, sent it to the customer care for another problem on June (they replaced my motherboard, so I hope that's not the source of current issues).

Since last month webcam doesn't turn on (or it does, but just for an instant) when I'm trying to use it on Skype. I usually had to open up a little more the screen to let it start work properly (then i could move the screen on optimal position to video-call someone). All this until now. This morning I made my last working call and now Skype (but also MSN) tells me that it doesn't recognize the camera. No drivers-windows 7-software updates were done today, it just stopped working. I tried to uninstall all webcam's software, to reinstall its drivers, but nothing solved my problem. There are no drivers updates on Dell's website, so I don't know what to do. I don't even know the webcam's model or similar info, since the control panel\system\devices section doesn't help that much.

I can link the "Hardware ID": USB\VID_0C45&PID_6310&MI_00.

Please let me know if there are other people in my situation (or, at least, wish me good luck :)

6 Posts

June 19th, 2011 11:00

I answered this on another post, but will try to not be as long winded here.

This is a design issue, it is not a hardware of driver issue as many, including Dell have been saying.  On the inside of the bezel, the plastic part that surrounds the LCD screen, there are metalic sponges, these have to make contact with copper contacts on the camera module which is taped to the inside of the laptop lid with foil tape.  As the laptop ages the plastic "relaxes" and the space inside the lid increases just enough that the sponges aren't able to touch and make contact with the camera module on many of the laptops. On some folks have found they can squeeze the lid by the camera and it will work for a time, others, it will work as long as they keep squeezing, for others nothing happens.

You or others may ask, how do I know, I did a lot of research, then took my 1564 apart, found the problem, put some spacers in there and fixed the issue.

Problem solved.

December 26th, 2010 16:00

Hi there

I have the exact same problem with my Inspiron 1564. When starting the webcam, it says "please connect supported hardware". So the 1564 is equipped with a webcam, it worked just fine, but a couple of weeks ago it just stopped working and showing this message there would not be any hardware connected. 

I do not have a solution, I'm contacting the customer service soon. Let me know if someone figures out how to fix this!!

Thanks!

1 Message

December 31st, 2010 06:00

Im also having the same problem...

Why Dell is not addressing this issue??

2 Posts

December 31st, 2010 06:00

SEND ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AT <ADMIN NOTE:Email id removed per privacy policy>.4 solution.

January 1st, 2011 09:00

Is it possible to just post the solution here, so everyone with the same issue can fix this problem?

Thanks a lot!

3 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 10:00

I don't think there is a solution. I've sent my laptop to the customer service and they replaced the webcam and the the back part of the screen (the one with the Dell brand on it).

13 Posts

March 22nd, 2011 18:00

I used to have the same problem. I wrote down my problem. I received from Dell Community a new driver (Dell Webcam Driver). I uninstalled the old driver and installed the new one. Now it works well. This new driver is not the sameone on the Dell's Support Drivers & Downloads. Why? I do not know!

Now , follow the link and download the driver and keep me informed!

5 Posts

May 16th, 2011 14:00

The above link and download didn't appear to help me at all. I uninstalled the webcam and the webcam central then used the link to download those drivers and software. My problem is that when I restart my computer, it automatically notices that there is new hardware in the webcam and starts downloading the drivers and software. I don't know which one it gets .... the original that doesn't work or the one from the link above that I just installed before restarting my computer! I don't know how to stop the automatic loading on restart. HELP!  This is getting very frustrating and it continues to tell me to "plug in the USB device" when it's an integrated webcam! How hard can this be to fix DELL?

13 Posts

May 16th, 2011 18:00

Uninstall all webcam software. Install instead "YouCam" from CNET Download. Enjoy it! There is no other way to make it work with Dell Webcam Center! Shame!

13 Posts

June 19th, 2011 18:00

I refer back to my old answers. I noticed that the driver I attached before i.e. works for Windows 7 64Bit OS. It also works for Windows Vista after downloading all updates i.e. SP1 and SP2. Otherwise uninstall all Dell Webcam software and download a new independeent Webcam Software as "Yocam" or even better "Manycam". No other solutions!

1 Message

November 4th, 2011 09:00

I concur. When I initially turn on my webcam with the lid open more than 90 degrees, no problems. If I should adjust the lid by closing it to 90 degrees or slightly less or accidentally bump the screen, the webcam light goes out and I get a USB Does Not Recognize Device Balloon or Please Plug In A Supported Device message on the Dell Web Cam Central screen. If I slowly open the lid slightly, the LED light comes back on the messages go away and the web cam operates fine.

Hope that adds a little more ammo to solve some problems. I have a Best Buy extended warranty so time to take a ride for a repair.

Good Luck.

November 4th, 2011 13:00

Good way to solve the problem, but...

Wouldn't it be better if you did not have to take your brand new expensive computer apart at all to deal with the problem the medievel way? I mean, you buy expensive stuff, and you have to take it apart with screwdrivers and stuff to deal with the problems yourself? Seriously? :)

Long live Mac. More expensive, way less time wasted fixing problems, cause there arn't any. Good deal.

November 4th, 2011 13:00

Thanks man. 

Lucky for me, my the issue was still covered by my standard 1-year warranty.

I heavily oppose against insurance for things like a pc. I mean, to be shure they will fix your problem for as long as your pc approx. might last (5years), you'll come close to paying 200 euro's to dells' insurance programm.

My out of the box-solution for the future: a Mac! Way more expensive than a pc, but, you almost have no problems at all in the first place (saves you a hell of a lot of time, otherwise wasted on communicating with dell), and... it's just SO much better. In crazy many ways.

Haha :)

January 10th, 2013 05:00

I have the same problem. my integrated web cam is not working. i uninstall the driver and dell webcam central . and re-install it  again it  work but after some i face the same problem that why i format my harddisk and re-install all the driver and software but the same problem . webcam did not detected. dell show me all the hardware are working properly.

January 10th, 2013 05:00

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

No Events found!