Highlighted
Mobra
1 Copper

Inspiron 1564 integrated webcam issue

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing some problems with the integrated webcam of my inspiron 1564. I bought it on March, sent it to the customer care for another problem on June (they replaced my motherboard, so I hope that's not the source of current issues).

Since last month webcam doesn't turn on (or it does, but just for an instant) when I'm trying to use it on Skype. I usually had to open up a little more the screen to let it start work properly (then i could move the screen on optimal position to video-call someone). All this until now. This morning I made my last working call and now Skype (but also MSN) tells me that it doesn't recognize the camera. No drivers-windows 7-software updates were done today, it just stopped working. I tried to uninstall all webcam's software, to reinstall its drivers, but nothing solved my problem. There are no drivers updates on Dell's website, so I don't know what to do. I don't even know the webcam's model or similar info, since the control panel\system\devices section doesn't help that much.

I can link the "Hardware ID": USB\VID_0C45&PID_6310&MI_00.

Please let me know if there are other people in my situation (or, at least, wish me good luck πŸ™‚

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
medic29
1 Nickel

Re: Inspiron 1564 integrated webcam issue

Jump to solution

I answered this on another post, but will try to not be as long winded here.

This is a design issue, it is not a hardware of driver issue as many, including Dell have been saying.  On the inside of the bezel, the plastic part that surrounds the LCD screen, there are metalic sponges, these have to make contact with copper contacts on the camera module which is taped to the inside of the laptop lid with foil tape.  As the laptop ages the plastic "relaxes" and the space inside the lid increases just enough that the sponges aren't able to touch and make contact with the camera module on many of the laptops. On some folks have found they can squeeze the lid by the camera and it will work for a time, others, it will work as long as they keep squeezing, for others nothing happens.

You or others may ask, how do I know, I did a lot of research, then took my 1564 apart, found the problem, put some spacers in there and fixed the issue.

Problem solved.

17 Replies
supremepremium
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi there

I have the exact same problem with my Inspiron 1564. When starting the webcam, it says "please connect supported hardware". So the 1564 is equipped with a webcam, it worked just fine, but a couple of weeks ago it just stopped working and showing this message there would not be any hardware connected. 

I do not have a solution, I'm contacting the customer service soon. Let me know if someone figures out how to fix this!!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
aorish
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Im also having the same problem...

Why Dell is not addressing this issue??

0 Kudos
shahery
1 Copper

Jump to solution

SEND ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AT <ADMIN NOTE:Email id removed per privacy policy>.4 solution.

0 Kudos
supremepremium
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Is it possible to just post the solution here, so everyone with the same issue can fix this problem?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Mobra
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I don't think there is a solution. I've sent my laptop to the customer service and they replaced the webcam and the the back part of the screen (the one with the Dell brand on it).

0 Kudos
m.badawi
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I used to have the same problem. I wrote down my problem. I received from Dell Community a new driver (Dell Webcam Driver). I uninstalled the old driver and installed the new one. Now it works well. This new driver is not the sameone on the Dell's Support Drivers & Downloads. Why? I do not know!

Now , follow the link and download the driver and keep me informed!

0 Kudos
AllyR
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The above link and download didn't appear to help me at all. I uninstalled the webcam and the webcam central then used the link to download those drivers and software. My problem is that when I restart my computer, it automatically notices that there is new hardware in the webcam and starts downloading the drivers and software. I don't know which one it gets .... the original that doesn't work or the one from the link above that I just installed before restarting my computer! I don't know how to stop the automatic loading on restart. HELP!  This is getting very frustrating and it continues to tell me to "plug in the USB device" when it's an integrated webcam! How hard can this be to fix DELL?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
m.badawi
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Uninstall all webcam software. Install instead "YouCam" from CNET Download. Enjoy it! There is no other way to make it work with Dell Webcam Center! Shame!

0 Kudos
medic29
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I answered this on another post, but will try to not be as long winded here.

This is a design issue, it is not a hardware of driver issue as many, including Dell have been saying.  On the inside of the bezel, the plastic part that surrounds the LCD screen, there are metalic sponges, these have to make contact with copper contacts on the camera module which is taped to the inside of the laptop lid with foil tape.  As the laptop ages the plastic "relaxes" and the space inside the lid increases just enough that the sponges aren't able to touch and make contact with the camera module on many of the laptops. On some folks have found they can squeeze the lid by the camera and it will work for a time, others, it will work as long as they keep squeezing, for others nothing happens.

You or others may ask, how do I know, I did a lot of research, then took my 1564 apart, found the problem, put some spacers in there and fixed the issue.

Problem solved.