Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 18th, 2015 01:00

Inspiron 15r SE - Most BIOS options are disabled!?!?!

All good, problem is sorted. Please remove thread. Thanks

4 Posts

March 18th, 2015 18:00

Raghav, I am the system owner. I managed to finally sort out the problem myself. Here's what I did in-case someone else has the same problem. The issue was not accessing the bios, the issue was that most (99.9%) of the bios options were grayed out. 

Start the machine and press F12 to get into the boot options. Don't push F2 because these options are most likely GRAYED OUT in there (they were for me)
Go to change boot mode setting
Select Legacy Boot Mode Secure Boot Off
Restart and push F2 to go into BIOS
Ensure options are enabled (i.e. problem sorted)
Change boot mode back to UEFI Boot Mode Secure Boot On and reboot again
Press F2 to get into the BIOS.

Voila, the BIOS options should be enabled as they should be. RE the Admin Password: My Admin password was the same as the Master password so I assume by entering this I was also able to enter the BIOS with that. Why on earth the options were grayed out/disabled, however, is still beyond me. Changing to Legacy Boot Mode and then back again to UEFI fixed the problem.

March 18th, 2015 03:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us.
Unfortunately the system is locked by BIOS password, so hence you will not be able to do any changes. Please press F9 key and see if you can load BIOS defaults.
Also, we recommend you to contact the system owner or the person who set the BIOS password. If you are unable to get the password, please private message the service tag, system owner name and the pictures of the error message so that we can help you further.

No Events found!