Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

March 29th, 2016 09:00

Inspiron 17 R SE Raid settup

I have an Inspiron 17 R SE laptop whic was originally supplied with Windows 7and which has a 32Gb Msata ssd set up in a Raid configuration with the 750Gb hard drive to provide accellerated access to the most frequently used files.

The laptop was recently updated to Windows 10 (which actually started without warning!) and all seemed well for a few weeks. However, a problem recently appeared with the start button - which caused a critical error forcing the closure of the login session each time the start button was used. I tried what seems to be the recommended fix - i.e. setting up a new account and copying data across, but this failed as the new accounts could not access the profile system - so would not work.

In desperation I tried to do a factory reset - which I had assumed would clear the C drive and retore Windows 7 but the upgrade to Windows 10 seems to have disabled this approach - as F8 no longer provides access to the hidden restore partition.

Restoring Windows 10 deleted all my software, but it HAS fixed the laptop and it appears to be working - but with the exception that the Raid configuration seems to be 'confused'. I did a little 'Googling' and installed the Intel Rapid Storage Driver for Windows 10. The laptop seems to be working - but the Raid setup clearly has a problem. Using the Windows System Configuration utility, Windows appears to 'think' the 750Gb drive is an SSD! I have checked the owners manual, and there is no information whatsoever to indicate how the Raid accelleration is set up - and most importantly how to reset it or configure iyt correctly.

Unfortunately the Intel website does not seem to have any documentation and I cannot email Dell tech support as they are not supporting the laptop now. Can anyone point me in the direction of some documentation for the Raid accelleration used in the laptop so that I can get it correctly configured? One of the side effects of Windows 10 'seeing' the C drive as an SSD is that it will not allow defragmentation!

Any adviice gratefully received.

No Responses!
No Events found!