Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

March 22nd, 2008 13:00

Inspiron 2600 External Mouse problem

Hi,

Has anyone come across a problem with connecting and external mouse to a 2600 via the PS2 connection at the back of the machine?

I have tried a couple of different mice, and can get no response. I have set the BIOS to both Auto detect and Enabled in turn, but it makes little difference.

What might be wrong?

Thanks,

Stephen Carter 

4.8K Posts

March 22nd, 2008 15:00

stevecarter,

Have you tried an external keyboard in addition to the external mice?  It is important to know that, unlike USB ports, PS/2 ports are not designed to accept connection to external devices while powered up.  Whenever connecting a PS/2, parallel, serial or external video device, the system should not be powered up.  Connecting these types of devices while the system is powered up can damage the port. 

If the PS/2 port is not functional, you can use a USB mouse or a PS/2 to USB adapter and connect to a USB port.

Steve

March 22nd, 2008 16:00

@BigBrother wrote:

stevecarter,

Have you tried an external keyboard in addition to the external mice?  It is important to know that, unlike USB ports, PS/2 ports are not designed to accept connection to external devices while powered up.  Whenever connecting a PS/2, parallel, serial or external video device, the system should not be powered up.  Connecting these types of devices while the system is powered up can damage the port. 

If the PS/2 port is not functional, you can use a USB mouse or a PS/2 to USB adapter and connect to a USB port.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response.

I have indeed tried an external keyboard in the PS/2 socket, and that works fine. I know about the powered-up issue, and only connected the mouse when the machine was off.

As it is a second-user machine, I have no knowledge as to whether someone in the past has not been so careful.

Is it possible for the mouse bit to have failed whilst the keyboard still works? Is there anyway to test the hardware?

Thanks again,

Stephen Carter 

4.8K Posts

March 22nd, 2008 17:00

stevecarter,

If a keyboard works, then the port is OK.  Try resetting BIOS defaults using the key during startup to enter system setup.  Resetting defaults should be on the Exit screen.  If the mouse will not work in the PS/2 port, get a USB adapter.  They can be found at almost any computer store and will cost only a couple of bucks.

Steve

No Events found!