Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2017 04:00

Inspiron 5323 Battery and Charger issues

Pruchased 7/2012 - in the past year started getting the - doesnt recognize charger at boot...BIOS notes "Unkown" adapter - would initially charge up to 78%. Recently, until below, it only charges for about 30 seconds then stops. get either plugged in and charging (but isn't) or plugged in NOT charging.

Here is what happened recently and what I have done:

- Factory adapter broke off at the jack last week - laptop suddently shut down and will now only run/boot while plugged in, purchased a new DELL 65w OEM charger. Getting the AMber flashes with solid white on battery indicator.

-I have updated to most recent BIOS to A18 - no fix - BIOS and battery settings still show "unknown" adapter and now show.."Your battery is temporarily disabled. Please turn off your computer and try again when the unit is back to the operational temperature". 

-Battery ceratnly isnt hot as it says this after sitting all night.

Thoughts?  how do I reset the battery - unplug? Replace? Why would an OEM charger still not be recognized - even after BIOS update?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

March 6th, 2017 06:00

Hi Billdance,

Thanks for posting.

Batteries normally only last a year or 18 months, depending upon the amount of charge/recharge cycles.  The fact that you've gotten one to last this long, is amazing.  Here is some information you may find helpful: http://dell.to/2mMjcVY

In addition, you stated in your post that the "factory adapter broke off at the jack", perhaps there has been some damage to the motherboard, were you able to replace the jack?  If not, you may have to replace the motherboard.  

The adapter is considered a normal wear and tear part and is not covered by warranty.

3 Posts

March 8th, 2017 17:00

Update - after BIOS update and a few restarts later the 5323 started recognizing the new charger and today I replaced the battery - booted right up and no more issues.  I guess the factory battery shorted out and died when the prior charger broke.  New battery is charging like a champ.  Took about 20 minutes to swap it out - very simple.

3 Posts

March 9th, 2017 07:00

Well... spoke too soon.  Booted up and it didnt recognize the OEM new Dell charger...  Later that day, unplugged that adapter from the wall completely and laptop - booted, halfway through boot, plugged in and it recognizes it again..

No Events found!