Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

17 Posts

April 26th, 2007 15:00

Inspiron 6000 Not Charging, but running on AC Power.

I'm going to try and be as specific as possible, and hope that whoever responds to this takes the time to read it carefully. A few weeks ago I plugged the AC Adapter into my Inspiron 6000 while my computer was already on and the computer gave me a message (from Quickset) that said something like this, "Your AC Adapter is not a Dell 65 Watt AC adapter, and therefore your computer will run slowly and your battery will not charge." Since then, my computer has been running on AC Power, but it has not been charging the battery. When I do a BIOS check, it says that the AC Power Adapter device is 'Unknown'. This is the same power adapter I received with my Dell and it has been working just wonderfully until now. Another fact to take into consideration is that I did a fresh install of Windows XP before this problem took place. The fresh install was the type where I deleted the partition and set up a new one. Also, the AC Adapter has its own LED light which is ON. I reseated the battery, I flashed the BIOS, I tried the AC adapter with no battery and it worked fine, and now, it will run on AC power, but will not charge the batter. Of course, my warranty is expired, and I'm out of luck, unless someone out there has a kind heart and the knowledge to save me from this micro disaster. Thanks for reading. I've noticed lots of power issues on this forum and lots of responses that have to do with the motherboard or whatever. It seems that most people have power problems after having the computer for about a year. I have not yet seen a problem that was exactly like mine, where they were getting a message that the AC adapter will no longer power the computer because it's not a Dell Adapter (even though it IS) -Josh

April 26th, 2007 19:00

Josh,

Thanks for posting. Hopefully we can band together and get a response from Dell regarding this.

I'm currently facing the same end user experience.

* Dell Inspiron 6000
* 15 Months into Purchase
* Warranty is expired
* My notebook only functions as a desktop because of AC Power issues
* Dell, or a user in the community, doesn't have a response to my post

I didn't receive the cryptic message you did regarding the different power supply, but my battery will not charge (but has a charge), and my computer dies if you try to run it off anything but AC.

Dell. PLEASE ADVISE.

April 26th, 2007 20:00

FYI - My original post is located here:http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_power&thread.id=48538

A dell moderator was kind enough to send me the information about the battery recall, put perhaps not kind enough to read my original post that explained that I'd taken this step, and my ID isn't on the recall website.

Josh,

What is your battery id? (go to http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/ to find this if you haven't already taken this step)

I'm running on 0F5135. Not on the list but perhaps should be....

Thanks,

Luke

17 Posts

Hey, thanks for confirming that I'm not the only one. Something else that's kinda funny is that I posted that message with an abbreviated phrase that Dell considered to be in violation of their TOS. It wasn't anything derogatory, and certainly not something that children would take offense to these days, but someone decided that it was more important to hold me in violation and erase my message, rather than answering my question and helping a valued customer (unless the term, 'valued customer,' also expires with the warranty.)

I would actually like to see how many people are having a similar issue. If you are out there and this sounds like your problem, just simply respond with a quick message to let us know. Maybe Dell is unaware of this issue, and I feel that it is my right and my responsibility as a customer to let them know. If they already know, then action should be taken. Thanks again. I surely do apologize for my TOS violation. Now can this problem get the proper attention it deserves?

-josh

17 Posts

I'm running the same battery that you are, and it is not on the list. But as far as I know, the battery recall was for overheating issues. Maybe I'm mistaken?

Josh,

I had the same thought. I wrote a post about battery failure/motherboard failure and the dell moderator responded to me with that.

Maybe it was FYI, maybe it was something else.

The two ways I see this action:

*The battery problem is perhaps larger than just the overheating issue and perhaps more toward, battery failure & overheating.

*The dell moderator thought they could bail me out of the above issue if by chance my battery was involved in the recall.

It's a tough one. Either way, it seems like they are open to hearing if other batteries are failing. Both of ours are the same battery and we are both having power problems. Is it the battery or something else? I vote battery.

The Royal We

April 27th, 2007 12:00

I am having the same problem on my Inspiron 8600. It started showing just a few times, but now I am luck when it decides to charge my battery. Is there a way to at least run the system on normal speed? Because whats is really making me mad is that I have to run the System on really slow speed. My warrant has expired too...

17 Posts

April 27th, 2007 15:00

I don't know how to make the computer not run slowly. What is your battery? Is it F5135?

April 27th, 2007 15:00

No Type: 8N544 DELL LBL P/N: 9X472 A00

2 Posts

April 28th, 2007 03:00

OMG! I am having the EXACT same issue. I just installed Windows XP onto a new harddrive they had to send me. then i got that stupid message, and BIOS says "unknown adapter" and now it wont charge.. will run on a/c power. I talked to Dell and my battery is not covered in my extended 3 year warrenty!?

17 Posts

April 28th, 2007 16:00

I'm not so convinced that this is a battery issue. I think it's something else, and I really wish someone at Dell would take the consideration to respond.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 29th, 2007 13:00

The "unknown adapter" is not a battery issue. To confirm, remove the battery and use just the AC adapter. If you still see the error message, it is likely that the power jack on the system board is faulty.

1 Message

April 30th, 2007 16:00

I'm 95% sure it's not a battery issue. I bought an Inspiron 6000 and a Precision m60 about 2.5 years ago. The precision went first... Still under support, I was able to get dell to replace the Motherboard. It was strange, all I did was tell them the ExpSvc code and that my battery stopped charging (I had tried a second charger and battery already)... They sent a tech to replace the MB the next day. My Inspiron stopped charging about a month after the warranty expired. I bought a new battery, and tried a new charger... no go. I called dell support... Out of warranty, out of luck. They said I could sent it in a fix it for about $450... but it was a $600 laptop... I can't justify the expense. I wish Dell would be responsive... it appears they have/had a bad design for the charging module, they should fix it. I don't expect a laptop to last forever, but 3 years isn't unreasonable. A 14 month life span is not the high quality I expect from Dell.

17 Posts

April 30th, 2007 16:00

So Dell is shipping out computers with a faulty system board. The issue is known and understood by Dell, however, Dell is not helping customers who have this problem. Warranty or no warranty, I think this problem should be addressed and fixed, and customers who have received the faulty product should be helped. Will Dell replace a defective product that they sold me? Will they charge me $100 to first let them know, and then $450 to fix the problem?

April 30th, 2007 19:00

Lose a customer vs. change out some faulty product

This to me may seem a simpler business decision because I don't work for Dell.

Simply put, I'm dissapointed by this action and unless someone there steps up to replace this, in the market for a new laptop.

One unsatisfied customer will tell 10 people.

My blog about this has already told 38.

Message Edited by lukestardust on 05-03-2007 05:37 PM

2 Posts

May 2nd, 2007 01:00

Just and FYI, i made dell send me a new adapter. Now i dont have the "unknown adapter" showing in bios and it's charging finally.
No Events found!