Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2015 15:00

Inspiron 600m - Screen goes black, low light, bad inverter?

One of my parts computers came without a power cord or a hard drive. And it was never tested by the seller. I threw a spare 600m hard drive in it and it booted up fine loaded and got to the desktop fine.

I was playing around cleaning up the hard drive. And the screen went black after about 30 minutes of use. I shined a flash light down it from the top and you can still see the screen and operate the computer, its just the backlight has seemed to disappear from the screen. Now let me add that upon first start up the screen appeared to have a red hue to it during the initial booting before Win XP took over the book process. Not sure if that means anything.

Is this positively the screen inverter, or could it potentially be something else? 

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

A replacement screen will include the bulb, but may or may not include the inverter -- since the inverter no doubt has significant time on it, you likely will want to replace the screen AND the inverter.

You can download the service manual for your system at support.dell.com (look up by the service tag or the model number).

9 Posts

Ahh interesting. Good thing I asked and didn't just go ahead and buy stuff I probably don't need. Do complete screens come with all these parts?

And do you have any idea where I could find repair instructions for these kind of tasks?

Thank you

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

The red hue suggests it's the backlight bulb - not the inverter. 

9 Posts

January 25th, 2015 20:00

Thank you! Funny how I completely missed the manuals download from the support page for my PC. Downloaded all three.

Well I appreciate your response, it helped a bunch. Im probably going to go ahead and order an inverter, screen/backlight and while im at it a new keyboard too.

I bought two of these as parts computers to fix my original one because its screen hinges broke. Out of the other too, i mixed parts and had one fully functional. Except the screen started getting dim. Since I don't live next to a dell factory or warehouse. I just used parts from one of the parts computers I bought. I swapped the inverter over to the new build. And its been on for over an hour now. Screens still light so I think that solved the problem.

How long it will last im not sure, but it will give me some time and a reason to buy all those new parts.

p.s.  anyone have any recommendations for a computer repair tool kit. I need some better tools and cant seem to find the micro sized tools anywhere for a good price. Looking for tamper proof assortments, phillips, etc.

9 Posts

February 2nd, 2015 12:00

Well you where correct. It was the back light. Im using a parts computer for parts and swapped the inverter but the effects where the same. So all is working for now. Its done about 8 hours straight with the screen on and showed no problems.

The backlight is a pain to change. And those screws are very tiny, almost couldn't find a screw driver that would fit.

Anyway thanks for the advice.

No Events found!