Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 9th, 2014 12:00

Inspiron 7 7737

Dell did a system test and it showed that my hard drive is failing.  Only 4 mos. old.  I had to fill out a form and it says they will send me a new one. I am not advanced computer savvy.  Think I can install the new drive, but my question is how do I get all the programs off the old one.  I guess I will have to reinstall everything.  I'm freaking out.  I have saved all my documents and pictures to an external hard drive.  Is there anything else I can save.  Thanks for anyone's help

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

As a warranty replacement, the new drive will come pre-imaged so the system will boot up as it did when you took it out of the box.  You will have to reinstall any software you installed after your received the system, and copy your data back to the replacement drive, but as long as that's backed up you're all set.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 9th, 2014 14:00

Or make an image backup using WIndows backup or a utility like TrueImage -- if you have that, you can restore the system exactly as you want it in as little as a few minutes.

7 Posts

Thank you. 

This is really annoying as the laptop is a little over 3 mos old.  Guess I'd better start writing down everything I've loaded in case it crashes.

7 Posts

November 10th, 2014 04:00

Thanks.  I will try and do that.

No Events found!