Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2015 05:00

Inspiron 7520 15R SE - Purple screen upon upgrade replacement?

Hi all,

I accidentally broke the screen on my partners Inspiron 7520 15R SE laptop. I managed to close the lid when there was a dongle on the keyboard... DOH!

The original screen as "WXGA (1366x768) HD" but I decided that as an apology, not only would I replace the sreen but I would upgrade it to the "WUXGA (1920x1080) Full HD" model.  I purchased this from a reputable company and fit it myself (I like to rebuild M1730's in my spare time... great machines... so I tend to know what I am doing).

Unfortunately, the screen has a strong PURPLE tint to it, even in POST/BIOS and this purple tint stays even when the machine loads in to windows. The purple is persistent and never changes or leaves.

I read somewhere online that it is possibly the LCD cable and so I purchased the R4WW7 cable and replaced that. The purple screen is still there. While this picture isnt great, as the purple looks gradated, I can assure you that it is entirely uniform in it's purpleness. http://postimg.org/image/kdlez6rkp/

So... What can I try next? Is this a screen issue (so therefore should I ask for a replacement/refund) or do I need to look at maybe another issue on the laptop?

The machine is:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
AMD Radeon HD 7700M Series / Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Thanks for your help.

13 Posts

May 14th, 2015 07:00

~facepalm~

While I ordered the R4WW7 cable (not from Dell) it appears that the sellers have given me the standard HD cable (rather than the FHD "R4WW7" cable). 

Might this be the purple screen issue?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 15th, 2015 05:00

It could indeed be so.   The cable required for the higher resolution screen is different from the original.

79 Posts

May 16th, 2015 08:00

have you tried toi update the video drivers the video chip in that laptop may not be able to handle HD so you may check that out and see or like i said update the video drivers.

No Events found!