Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2006 21:00

Inspiron 8100's network adaptor missing.

Dell Inspiron 8100
Pent III 1000G
512 Meg Ram
XP
CDRW/DVD Rom
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,
In the network properties, the only network adaptor that is visible is the 1394 Connecting ( which is the Fire Wire Port ) This laptop has a built-in modem and data port which XP has not detected. I have tried the Dell download site and have tried various drives but have not work. Can anyone tell me what drivers or control drivers this laptop needs for my connection to work? What type of card it is?

Thanks
Dj

Message Edited by Xgoz on 03-23-2006 05:24 PM

6 Posts

March 23rd, 2006 23:00

What is the service tag or the express service code on the machine.  Also have you checked in bios to make sure that these items are not turned off, where they working and then just stopped.  Also remove the battery and the ac adapter, then hold down on the power button with no power to it, for one minute, put the battery and ac adapter back in and see if that does bring them back.

4.2K Posts

March 24th, 2006 05:00

Hi,

You dont have a built in modem or network. There is a miniPCI slot, the small door underneath that can hold a card. Have a look in Bios, to see if a card is fitted. A look under the door will confirm if a card is fitted, and if so what brand it is. They all had the sockets, but not the card.

Regards Chris

3 Posts

March 24th, 2006 17:00

and behold!!!! I opened the compartment and it's a ActionTec ( MP560LHD1 ) watchamagig.
Ok so I went to the dell site and those drivers did not work. Unless Im doing all this wrong.

advise?

Dj

Message Edited by Xgoz on 03-24-2006 03:04 PM

11.9K Posts

March 24th, 2006 18:00

@Xgoz wrote:
the service tag number is ______

and behold!!!! I opened the compartment and it's a ActionTec ( MP560LHD1 ) watchamagig.
Ok so I went to the dell site and those drivers did not work. Unless Im doing all this wrong.

advise?

Dj

Advice:

1) Edit your prior post and remove your service tag or Dell will delete the post.  Use Messge Options, then Edit.

2) You have to install both the modem and the network drivers. 

4.2K Posts

March 24th, 2006 19:00

Hi,

It may be a modem only. Does the Bios say combo, or modem or netwark ? If you look at the card, the cable with 2 wires, if it is plugged in, you have a modem. The cable with many wires, if connected means you have a network. Both mean a combo. If you have an Actiontec modem only, there was a seperate driver CD for it. ( for XP ) The " driver " at the the download site was an update for a handbook. I hope it has been updated, the reason I know this is I have been caught.........

Regards Chris

No Events found!