Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2009 06:00

Inspiron 9200 LCD Blacks out after a few seconds

What I have read is that this is caused by a faulty backlight, unfortunetely the warranty expired last month, so dell won't reply back to my emails.  All I am looking for is where to order the part, how much the part costs, and where in the laptop does this part reside???

Ran diagnostics(FN + power) and got the following:

LCD inverter detection

Unable to detect inverter lamp status

Error 1000 - 0323

Thank you in advance for any advice!!

Best regards,

-Dan

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 28th, 2009 06:00

It's likely not the bulb, but the inverter (or less probably, the mainboard).  You'll need to remove the inverter (it's behind the screen) and search EBay or google for an exact replacement (don't assume the inverter is the same for all 9200s - it isn't;  the inverter is screen-model specific).  The inverter should cost less than $50 for a used one.

If the inverter doesn't solve the problem, it's likely the mainboard power circuit that's faulty - you can replace the mainboard but it's more on the order of $300-400 just for  the board - which may not be worth the cost for a system this old.

5 Posts

May 28th, 2009 07:00

okay I got the monitor apart, it is a 17" LG.  Is the inverter the thin board that is taped to the back of the lcd screen?  I have an external monitor plugged into the laptop and that works fine.  Would that shed any light on the fact that it may not be the main board?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 28th, 2009 08:00

Yes,that's the inverter if it is attached to the mainboard by means of a cable.  Replace it - that should solve the problem (the fact that an external monitor works means nothing as far as the inverter or mainboard  goes - the only real way to check is with a good inverter).  If it solves the problem you're set;  if not, then the mainboard is bad.

5 Posts

May 28th, 2009 10:00

Where should I go to order a inverter?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Try parts-people.com, impactcomputers.com, or EBay.

5 Posts

Any one know of where to order an LG inverter for a 17 inspiron 9200 dell laptop???

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 28th, 2009 13:00

What manufacturer?  Ambit/Foxconn?  What part number?

13 Posts

May 28th, 2009 14:00

Hi, Did you happen to notice the screen had a redish tint to it before it goes black?  If it did the problem may be the backlight it self.  I've replaced several that were going black and it turned out to be the backlight bulb while the inverters were just fine.  There is always a chance s others mentioned the inverter could be bad.  The backlight is not easily replaced but can be done at the risk of destroying the LCD screen.  The backlight is buried in the LCD screen and requireds disassembling the LCD screen (not recommended for the novice).  It is often easier to pick up a replacement LCD screen off ebay.  FYI: backlight bulb around $20-35, inverter $35-50 and LCD screens $130-250 (prices from ebay).

Good luck,

Mark

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 08:00

yes it does have a redish tint before it goes out, any thoughts or recomendations on replacing the backlight bulb.  I did replace the inverter and it did not fix it.  Any ideas on where to get an backlight bulb for an lg phillips 17" wxga / wuxga

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2009 12:00

Before you open the panel to remove the bulb (which you'll need to do) be sure you're equipped to do the work - it requires a significant amount of disassembly and will require de-soldering the old bulb and soldering in a new one.

You wlll need to remove the existing bulb, measure the length and diameter and order a new one - Mouser, Digikey and Newark all sell them.  The bulb is likely to cost little more than the shipping cost and if you've never done this before, you will very likely break the first bulb you try to install - so order two of them.  If you don't need the other one you can always sell it to someone else.  Be VERY, VERY careful with the bulb - they are incredibly fragile and they are filled with a signficant amount of mercury, which will be released if the bulb does break.

13 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 14:00

As another member pointed out the CCFL backlight is not easy to replace for the first time but it is completely replaceable with a little patience, time and caution.  The only soldering is to the actual CCFL bulb wires one at each end of the bulb.  I have used this vendor to order bulbs and they have a lot of additional information step by step for many different screens.  http://www.lcdparts.net  Take a look before you order so you can assess the task.  I know they also offer services also.  The 17" bulb runs around $12 plus SH.  They also list bulbs on EBay and you may be able to save on shipping, just search on the bulb number (MSxxxx).

Last word of caution, pay attention to the thin LCD ribbon cables.  They are attached directly to the LCD glass and there is no way to repair this if you accidently break them away from the glass.  This will be evident when you turn on the screen and have lines or missing half, quarter or a competely solid color display.  To date I have replaced 22 CCFL and only damaged 1 by accidently lifting the LCD before clearing the ribbon first.  It actually caught the ribbon and pulled it at an angle before I saw it.  Also keep dust and dirt from in between the LCD layers.

Good Luck,

Mark

No Events found!