Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

30 Posts

August 29th, 2006 07:00

Inspiron 9400/ATI x1400/video flicker on external dual lcds

I researched the forum and found that flickering on the external outputs may be related to font size and cables...
I've checked those items they are correct. My issue has been narrowed down to having both the DVI and VGA running together in a dual monitor setup... as long as only one is running, everything is nice and dandy... put both running and there's a quick (less than a second) flicker and it's something that could happen one second and not happen again for 30-90 seconds... maybe more...

I've read that running both external outs puts load on the card, but I couldn't imagine that  it's something that can't be resolved...

I am running the latest drivers from dell 7/15/2006 for ATI... what are the chances that the card is defective?

any other suggestions?

if the opinion is that the card is defective, what is the best way to warranty it? meaning... I don't want to be on the phone with a dell tech support guy for 3 hours before they finally realize, "Ok... we'll look into it"

inspiron 9400
core duo @1.83
2gb ram
x1400

54 Posts

September 29th, 2006 01:00

Got a call they won't ship the replacement part until October 6th.  Does that mean I'll get it Monday, the 9th?

Lucky lady called after machine wasn't flickering for a while, so I was all "alright, thanks".

Right now it is flickering so much, I am miserable.  She'd get an earful.

61 Posts

September 29th, 2006 12:00

Maybe this means that you are getting a redesigned part? More wishful thinking on my part, perhaps. I'd really like to believe that this could be solved by a simple parts swap.

There's no place like home... there's no place like home... there's no place...

54 Posts

October 11th, 2006 01:00

Replacement graphics card (i.e. X1400) got here today.  Surprisingly large shipping box, with a surprising number of surprisingly large parts.  Two long heat sinks with ribs at the end.  Half a computer case.  Doesn't look like a quick replacement, at first.  Surprised they didn't send out a service guy.

Given the current work crunch, maybe I'll make it a family event on the weekend to put that together.  Anti-static party at my office.

And just when I thought I didn't have a flicker all day, right now I got one.  And then one or two more.  I have to watch out I don't start doing that to people when talking with them, all of a sudden to jerk my head ;)  Ah, there was different flicker, more like TV noise.  Won't shed a tear after the old card (X1400) when it is gone.  Another flicker.  And another.  The problem is real.  And it is intermittent.  Didn't have any problem all day today, just now at 7pm.  No different software running.  Must be hardware.  Definitely looks like a hardware problem.  Another flicker.

61 Posts

October 11th, 2006 13:00

Sounds promising. Hope it came with instructions. Generally, my attempts at getting into notebook cases (beyond removing the hatch covers) don't go very far, because they tend to be like Chinese puzzles.

Lately, mine has been flickering only at my client's location, where I'm running WSXGA+. At home, running UXGA, I haven't noticed an flickering in days.

Good luck with the R&R.

30 Posts

October 11th, 2006 18:00

definitely awaiting to hear results on the new card. Mine still only happens once in a while and don't feel like tearing my hair out...
If it does turn out to be a hardware issue, I've wondered if waiting for all the x1400 to be gone would make us be able to get the nVidia upgrades :)

just positive thinking...

54 Posts

October 20th, 2006 19:00

Have put in card today.  Came with new motherboard.  Have put them in both.  Sent back all parts.  Now we'll have to wait and see whether the flickering is gone for good.

Don't ask why motherboard too.  I can only guess, but it was a good idea because signal goes through it, connector is on motherboard, not on graphics card.

Interesting details:

Motherboard now has BIOS A03.  Dell support Web site for Dell Inspiron 9400/E1705 System BIOS lists A02 as most recent.  Possible reasons:  BIOS A02 came out 6/9/2006, BIOS A03 came out 7/29/2006.  But because Dell Web site underlying database incorrectly has 8/9/2006 listed for A02 it never updates to A03 from 7/29/2006 because it thinks it is older.

And the BIOS of my graphics card seems to indicate it is "old", so after all that wating, did I get a refurbished one anyway?  Here is the evidence BIOS (get to with F2) shows Video BIOS Version now 009.012.001.009.184.035, before graphics card swap was 009.012.001.009.193.050.

What matters is whether I'll have a machine that doesn't flicker.  I should report in a week if not, earlier if it does flicker.

One more hint:  While you have the machine open for this major procedure, you could swap a Core Duo with a Core 2 Duo.  It is socketed.  Don't expect it to be much faster, and you might lose your warranty.  I didn't do it.  And you better know how to apply and clean off old heat sink conductor.

Had a medical surpirse.  Apologies in case I didn't react quickly or in case I don't reply.

Dell "case worker" got rather nice in the last couple of weeks or so.

Message Edited by notebookvet on 10-20-2006 03:55 PM

61 Posts

October 21st, 2006 16:00

By sending both a replacement card and a replacement MB, it indicates to me that Dell doesn't have a handle on the problem. Kinda looks like the shotgun approach.

Hope it all works out OK for you (personal and technical).

54 Posts

November 6th, 2006 17:00

Quick report:  Flickering is back.  New (refurbished I suspect because of older ROM version) ATI X1400, new motherboard in Inspiron 9400.  After a week without flickering it was busily flickering for three days.  Why I don't know.  Weird interaction between parts.  I do know my Inspiron 9200 with ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 worked fine with those same external screens, same software installed.  Actually the 9400 has less software on it (I follow exact written company instructions, I know for sure).  I have NO peripherals, NO games, NO 3D screen savers, just plain editing of source code, text documents, etc.  Gotta run now.  Haven't decided what to do.  Dell was nice in their interactions.  I still have a flickering machine.

61 Posts

November 6th, 2006 19:00

First, thank you for taking the plunge on this. Sorry that all the effort on your part was for nothing.

I guess that I am not surprised. I still don't think that we have unique machines.

I seem to have had less flickering lately. But it still happens daily.

54 Posts

November 7th, 2006 16:00

One more check to eliminate "causes" (though I am at the "don't care, don't want this machine any more" stage).

Any of you also have any one of these parameters:

- external LCD screen are Samsung (213T recently more problems, 204B recently less problems, but both have and had problems, and the flickering also was/is on notebook internal screen, so it isn't a problem "in" the screen)

- Logitech QuickCam, installed but not connected (have uninstalled its app for known taskbar problems)

- Visioneer scanner (with PaperPort software), installed but often not connected

- VMware Workstation (worked just fine on my older Inspiron 9200)

I'm ready to buy another Inspiron 9400 with anything but an ATI X1400.  Someone without external screen will be happy with this unit I currently have.

54 Posts

November 8th, 2006 04:00

An Inspiron 9400 with Intel Graphics chip is on order.  Should get here by Nov 22nd (to be shipped Nov 15th).  We'll see how that works.

Because ... there is an interesting detail you might not know.  I have seen my motherboard and graphics card, I know.  Here you go:

These graphics cards aren't graphics cards that have a video out connector (like they used to in desktop PCs).  These are mere graphics accellerators, as far as I can tell.  The video out connector is on the motherboard.  I have seen that.  That means (I assume) the video signal is made by some chip on the motherboard.  That "graphics card" we are talking about seems just to be another processor that's specialized in calculating the math for 2D and 3D graphics.

So the problem might be with the Inspiron 9400 and external 1600x1200 screens, if the problem is in circuitry on the motherboard.  I hope not.

We have another Inspiron 9400 already with an Intel Graphics chip, but I can't tell whether it is reliable with those 1600x1200 screens, because it is assigned to other tasks.  It does connect to 1600x1200 screens ok, but I don't know whether it would flicker after some time, because I couldn't keep it for playing around, couldn't leave it connected long enough.

If I have the machine running Nov 22nd I should know more by December 8th (or sooner if I happen to be working at a large external screen and something goes wrong).  Let's hope I'll report it works.

61 Posts

November 9th, 2006 01:00

- I have Samsung 214, but the other monitor is an off-brand "Metro" 1680 x 1050. Flicker on all three (including internal screen) when any two are used.

- no webcam

- no Visioneer gear

- No VMware

30 Posts

November 15th, 2006 14:00

- laptop runs on two 2005 20" wide lcds at work and two 2006 20"wide lcds at home resolutions 1680x1050 all lcds are DELL
- no external hardware
- run mstsc basically 24/7

note: I have never experienced flicker on laptop built-in display nor running off one external lcd. I have not done a built-in + 1 external lcd test ever...

my flicker is still not critical so I am really waiting as much as possible to see if I can warranty the machine hoping an x1400 card supply is gone and get an upgrade :)

Message Edited by maaximuus on 11-15-200610:53 AM

54 Posts

November 15th, 2006 19:00

The graphics cards from Nvidia and ATI are huge boards and are socketed.  The Intel chip isn't a separate card.  I got the motherboard only because someone in tech support wanted to make sure they try everything.  After all, the signal travels from the ATI card through the motherboard to the DVI (and VGA) connector(s).

61 Posts

November 15th, 2006 19:00

I think that there is some indication from the above postings that the chipset is actually soldered on the MB. While the ATI X series chips of theoretically socketable and therefore upgradable, it is more likely that this is not the case. I had problems earlier this year with an HP notebook with X300 chipset. It was soldered on the MB.

Therefore, and upgrade is likely a MB too, which I doubt would happen.
No Events found!