Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

October 10th, 2008 23:00

Inspiron 9400/E1705 dead

I had my laptop from 2 years and it was working excellent so far. Until yesterday....

I worked on the laptop as usually (web browsing) and suddenly the radiator inside started to work louder then even before ( hard cooling ). After 20 seconds the computer just turned off. From this time is dead. When you're pressing start button ,the two icons from three are blinking (without battery icon) and after second is gone. When you're taking battery off and try run on AC power is the same. The charger light is still on when you will put the chord to the socket. I tried to restart RAM, took off hard drive, DVD, restarted battery on motherboard but its still the same. I have GF Go 9700 so maybe is something wrong with one of radiators but I don't know how to check it. Maybe somebody have idea how to check other components? Im petrified that the failure will be motherboard. I don't want to buy new laptop because this one had good specification and was enough for my need. I don't have warranty as well.I checked laptop using two AC adaptors. Thanks for any reply.

Message Edited by sturmik on 10-10-2008 07:13 PM

24 Posts

December 14th, 2008 14:00

[quote user="MustardKing"]

sturmik,

I am having the same problem with my E1705, also 2 years old.  Did you confirm this was the motherboard? How?  Did replacing the motherboard fix it?

I am having the same issue. In short here is what lead up to the same result.

Battery light blinking orange 4 times the green 1 time. (battery charging and laptop running fine)

Decided to leave the battery out all night.

Replaced battery,AC adapter this morning and power on.

Caps lock and Num lock blink for about ten seconds or so and hard drive sounds for about 2 seconds.(No Video)

Shuts down.

If I press the battery indicator it shows full charge and my blinking orange/green went away.

I find it hard to believe that the motherboard has a timer to fry after 2 years.(Yes mine is also 2 years, almost to the day old)

[/quote]

Well after endless searching I found that if I removed and re-inserted the memory i'm back in business.(Had to reseat the chips 3 times)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 10th, 2008 23:00

If it powers up but there's no video, it could be the video card.  From what you've described, however, you've a faulty mainboard.

December 12th, 2008 13:00

sturmik,

I am having the same problem with my E1705, also 2 years old.  Did you confirm this was the motherboard? How?  Did replacing the motherboard fix it?

24 Posts

December 14th, 2008 08:00

sturmik,

I am having the same issue. In short here is what lead up to the same result.

Battery light blinking orange 4 times the green 1 time. (battery charging and laptop running fine)

Decided to leave the battery out all night.

Replaced battery,AC adapter this morning and power on.

Caps lock and Num lock blink for about ten seconds or so and hard drive sounds for about 2 seconds.(No Video)

Shuts down.

If I press the battery indicator it shows full charge and my blinking orange/green went away.

I find it hard to believe that the motherboard has a timer to fry after 2 years.(Yes mine is also 2 years, almost to the day old)

3 Posts

December 14th, 2008 15:00

Hey guys,

Well it looks like I am experiencing the same issues with my 2 year old (almost to the day as well) Inspiron E1705. I went to start it up last week and it was turning on as usual. I was watching TV and when I turned back around to the computer it was off. When I went to hit the power button the Left LED lights up, then the middle one, then they both turn off and nothing happens. I grabbed another power supply from work and ruled that out. I bought another battery (I needed one anyways) and its not that. I took the memory out and flipped it around and re-inserted and etc. One time I did this the caps LED and the numbs LED both lit up but then per usual nothing happens. I have tried to reseat the RAM like 10 times. Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

December 14th, 2008 15:00

quess the memory chips would cause lots of problems...computer will not boot with unseated memory....glad you got it working,,,though not sure why one has reseat it 3 times....must to sort of touchy getting the modules to seat

December 29th, 2008 11:00

Hi All,

I finally went to a lap top repair shop and had my inspiron 1705 diagnosed. Initially he thought it was the AC jack on the computer, since the charger light would flash on and off when he jiggled the wire.  When he actually opened the computer it turned out the mother board was corroded and this was shorting out the AC Jack.  Ouch!

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

December 29th, 2008 12:00

wow,,,corroded motherboard,,,that is one i never heard of before.

No Events found!