Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

24 Posts

April 8th, 2006 00:00

Inspiron B130

I recently ordered the B130, Configured to Pentium M735,400FSB,1.7GHZ  1Gig DDR.533 MHZ. ETC
I aways get buyers remorse whenever I spend a lot of $$$ on anything. This didn't cost a fortune because it is what it is, a basic system. But still I have a knot in my stomach now after reading about the customer support, I upgraded my warranty to include in home service. But bad customer support just tics me off, so let's hope I get a solid system>
Any thoughts on the B130?
Thanks

11 Posts

How much did you get it for? The prices on M140's and even 1505's are really low this week...

24 Posts

$770, with the battery and warranty upgrade, shipping, ETC

11 Posts

April 8th, 2006 02:00

Thats a good price. I'm not familiar with the quality of the B130, but I've had dell laptops and desktop and I would say that out of three laptops - inspiron 8600, xps m140 and 710m, it's only the m140 that i returned because of poor build quality and screen. Ironically, among the three, the xps is marketed as their top of the line. So it is not a guarantee that top of the line models are better, I would say it is hit and miss, looking at the comments and complaints in this and other dell forums. My suggestion is for you to give your computer a proper shakedown once you receive it, test every function before the 21 day period is up, so you can do a return if your not satisfied with it. Anyway, Dell most of the time will give you full credit.

1.4K Posts

April 8th, 2006 05:00

I configured a 1300 at work a couple of weeks ago, it's a clone of the B130, for the business/education buyer.  Personally, I prefer the look and feel of the black case to the silver/white that's common on so many Dells.  Just my own observation.  It seemed well constructed, and everything works.  Relax and enjoy, and keep in mind most folks posting on here are having problems, and the vast number of happy customers will never make a peep.

38 Posts

April 8th, 2006 12:00

I received a B130 for Christmas and use it every day. I've found it to be an extremely reliable machine. I use it more than I use my desktop. (D8400)

Message Edited by tcwvhw on 04-08-200609:07 AM

610 Posts

April 8th, 2006 12:00

I ordered one for my mom - she is 78 and wants to learn computers. I needed a solid system that would not cause problems - I live in Michigan and she is in Nebraska so I can't just shoot over to help her. I did not clean install, rather I just cleaned out the garbage and got it all set up for her. It has been installed for almost three months and has not even hiccupped. Corel Photo was the only item that caused grief. I left it in and should not have. Since then I have gone back and uninstalled that and put in Microsoft Digital Image. That works perfectly for her and opens fast. She is on a DSL line and is all over the internet, and is fooling around with word processing, email, and photos. I'm happy as can be so far with that system. It is surprisingly fast too. Hers is configured with the same processor as yours, but has only 512MB RAM. Internal wireless and home service. My mom simply will not be able to work with the folks in Bangalor. Any service problems will probably mean her sending the unit to me or me going there! Anyway, it is a nice system and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

1.4K Posts

April 8th, 2006 14:00

As soon as your system arrives (or after the system tag shows up in their database) call Dell Support and order the reinstall CD and the CDs for any of the programs you want to use, like the CD burner software.  They don't always include these in the shipment.  They'll probably charge for the reinstall CD.

24 Posts

Thanks for all the input, I feel better knowing that some of you actually have used this system and like it.

Now, one other question, silly me did not order the re-install cd, so I guess I'll Be uninstalling all the garbage software that it come bundles with. Any issues I should be aware of? Can I just go to remove programs and remove them there? I don't need Coral, AOL, Net zero ETC.

Thanks a bunch

11 Posts

@Jaspa54 wrote:

Thanks for all the input, I feel better knowing that some of you actually have used this system and like it.

Now, one other question, silly me did not order the re-install cd, so I guess I'll Be uninstalling all the garbage software that it come bundles with. Any issues I should be aware of? Can I just go to remove programs and remove them there? I don't need Coral, AOL, Net zero ETC.

Thanks a bunch

Chat with Customer Care, and tell them you want to do a clean install or better you want all the installation cd just in case your hard drive fails. They will try to convince you to use the included symantec restore but firm although polite. They will ship it to you free of charge. In my recent orders they shipped the complete installation disc from the OS to the dvd burning software free of charge. Heck with extended warranty, dell will make sure you are happy with your computer.

24 Posts

April 16th, 2006 19:00

Hi,
just adding an update, I just chatted to Dell support via on-line. I asked about getting the OS install cd, as well as my burner software shipped to me. No problem, they gave me a reference # and said that they would be sending those as well as the application drivers cd's.  Painless and fast.

11 Posts

April 17th, 2006 13:00

Cool! Enjoy your B130 =)
No Events found!