Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2013 23:00

Inspiron M65 - Display defect?

Inspiron M65 - Display defect?

The display of my laptop is showing only colored lines. My question is now is the display defect or ony the display inverter. The cable between motherboard and display is new (that was my first check).

If I plug in an external monitor, the picture on the external monitor is ok.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

November 19th, 2013 01:00

Hi Bengab1,

This seems to be an issue with the LCD screen; Depending on the warranty status we can help you further, please use the link below to check the warranty status.

http://dell.to/YeuzUO

Please punch in the system service tag or express service code. In case your system warranty has expired please contact the Out of Warranty department 1-800-288-4410 (U.S.Customer only). In case your system is under warranty please send me the system service tag or express service code through a private chat, so that I can help you further. 

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details. 

5 Posts

November 19th, 2013 06:00

Thanks for the answer. I know that there is no warranty any longer on my Laptop. I will repair it myself. But I do not know what part is really defect. Is it the LCD display or is it the inverter modul below the display.

Please can somebody give me any hint, because the inverter modul is more cheaper than the display unit.

Thanks,

5 Posts

November 19th, 2013 07:00

One more information, I started also the build in test (press Fn and Power On). In the running test routine I didn't saw something on the laptop monitor, only on the external monitor I could follow the test. At one point the basic colors (red, green..) where shown on the screen. This I saw on the laptop monitor, the colors where ok and without any line or pixel fault.

Hm... what is now defect the inverter modul or the lcd module???????????????????????????????????

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 19th, 2013 14:00

While it could be an LCD cable or display panel fault, the nVidia chips used in these systems are well known for engineering faults - they can and do fail in such a way as the system will display externally while the internal screen shows a faulty image.

You can try the display panel first, but my suspicion is that you have a bad video card - not a bad panel or cable.

5 Posts

November 25th, 2013 00:00

Hi, 

I changed the LCD display and now nothing is shown. The display stays black. It looks like there will be a very light shining or changing the black in the moment the Windows logon screen should come up.

Is this now a sign for defect video card, or is it a sign for a defect inverter?. I've only changed the LCD, not the inverter. Perhaps the inverter is now totally gone??????

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 25th, 2013 03:00

It's worth a try replacing it -- just be sure you get the correct inverter for your screen (they're screen-specific -- even with the same model notebook, an inverter for say, a Samsung screen won't work with an LG screen, etc.).

5 Posts

The sreen is almost black, it looks like a very light flash that there should be something shown.

I'm wondering, because I have only plugged the LCD and the Inverter. I didn't have touched the mainboard. So it looks more for me like the inverter.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If there is a light on the screen, it's the video card that has failed.

No Events found!