Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 23rd, 2011 01:00

Inspiron Mini 910 - Upgrading to a Larger SSD Hard drive

Hi All,

I have a Dell Inpsiron Mini 910, which currently has a 16 GB SSD hard drive. The computer has Windows XP Home SP3 installed. I am seeking to upgrade the current hard drive to a larger one, because the hard drive is almost full, with only about 1 GB free space. This computer belongs to a lady I work for.

In this case, using an external hard drive to "supplement" the available storage space is not a viable solution, since the owner wishes to be able to store a large quantity of historical e-mail on the computer, so as to be able to refer back to past e-mails.   Microsoft Outlook 2007 is being used for e-mail.   The lady is a heavy user of e-mail, and the Outlook data file (.pst file) she wishes to store on the hard drive would be around 7 GB in size.   Currently, she is opting to not store the large quantity of previous e-mails (which stretch back over about 5 - 7 years) on this computer's hard drive, because there is insufficient space to do so.   She has another computer, a desktop, which has all the old e-mails stored on its hard drive.

I want to ask what larger size of hard drive (than 16 GB) does the Inspiron Mini 910 support?   Are there particular brands/models which people would recommend?   I have read elsewhere in these forums accounts of people successfully installing a 32 GB drive into one of these computers:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19263316.aspx

I have enquired about this with Dell Technical Support in my country (Australia).   The people I contacted there were not able to help me with this.   They told me they have not tested the Inspiron Mini 910 with any hard drive larger than 16 GB, and so are unable to advise me as to whether this computer can support any hard drive larger than 16 GB.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Peter Selig

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 23rd, 2011 05:00

Don't Limit your search to Mini 9  also use INSPIRON 910 /  VOSTRO A90   (Aka Darth Mini)

32 Gig is $105  64 Gig is $210 etc

Several 50mm cards that work are:

Dell SSD from STEC

RunCore drives

SuperTalent drives

Active Media Products (AMP) 64GB Mini PCI Express SaberTooth AA SSD

Crucial drives   (Never seen any good reviews of these)

The Runcore Brands Go up to 128 Gig with an L shaped SSD that eeks over into where the WWAN card would sit.

How to Upgrade Your Hard Drive (SSD) in a Dell Mini Inspiron 9 ...

Runcore SSD Upgrade Guide (w/Pics) - Page 3

Amazon.com: Super Talent 32 GB MLC Half Mini 2 PCIE Solid State ...

Amazon.com: AMP 64GB SaberTooth AA PATA Mini PCIe SSD ...

Review AMP 32GB SaberTooth-AA 50mm PATA Half Mini PCIe SSD ...

Shopping results for Vostro A90 SSD

RunCore 64GB Pro IV Light 50MM PCI-e SSD for Dell Mini 9 Vostro ...

RunCore 128GB Pro IV 50mm T-Style PCI-e PATA Solid State Drive ...

Note: Due to the T-style design, Dell Inspiron Mini 9 users will need an open WWAN slot in their PC so the RunCore SSD can occupy part of the adjoining space for the 64 and 128 Gig Drives. Please purchase accordingly.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2011 05:00

The SSD is a half-mini PCI card format.  There are 16 and 32G versions that will work - but they're not cheap (figure on upward of $100 for a 32, $200+ for a 64).

www.amazon.com/.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

September 28th, 2011 19:00

Dear ejn63,

I am sorry I have not responded to your reply earlier than - it was rude of me.   Thank you for your information about the options for upgrading to a large sized SSD for this computer.  

Thanks for your help with this.

Regards,

Peter Selig

September 28th, 2011 19:00

Dear SpeedStep,

I am sorry I have not responded to your reply earlier than - it was rude of me.   Thank you for your detailed and informative reply about the options for upgrading to a large sized SSD for this computer.   I have read a lot, but not all, the information in the websites your referred to in your post.   Thanks for those references - they fave me a lot more information/examples than I had been able to find on my own previously.

Given that, as I mentioned in my original post, Dell Technical Support in Australia have told me that they have not tested SSDs larger than 16GB in the Inspiron Mini 910, may I ask if you have successfully done this kind of a SSD updgrade in the Inspiron Mini 910; i.e. installing a SSD hard drive larger than 16 GB?

I am going away on a holiday for the next week, where I will not have access to a computer/the Internet, so I will not be able to do any more about this upgrade during that time, nor will I be able to respond to any replies in this forum during that time.   I will respond to any further contributions when I am back at home, in a week's time.

Thanks for your assistance with this.

Regards,

Peter Selig

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 29th, 2011 07:00

I used a 64 Gig  version of the Runcore SSD.  It came with a USB Cable and Clone Software.

So All I had to do was to clone the old to the new then swap the drives and it was done.

The only issue with this SSD is that if you have a WWAN card it wont fit because it uses that space.

Runcore Solid State Drive SSD Cloning via onboard Micro USB and Instalation Demonstration

Runcore SSD can be installed on any computer via its onboard USB port on the Dell mini 9.

The Mini9 uses the Mini PCI-E with 50mm PATA SSD drive.

2 Posts

October 31st, 2017 08:00

hola,probado y funcionando perfecto el ssd de la casa supertalent.com

64GB SuperTalent IDE Half Mini 2 PCIe SSD para Dell Inspiron Mini 9 (117 / 72MB de lectura / escritura)

e visto otros de 128gb y 256 gb,voy a ver si los localizo y los pruebo y digo como funcionan,la ssd la e comprado en :www.memoryc.co.uk      saludos

2 Posts

October 31st, 2017 08:00

aa por cierto el precio es de 53 €

No Events found!