Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2011 17:00

Inspiron N5010 - Now with FREE FOOD!

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Dear Dell,

I just got home and opened my Refurbished Dell Inspiron N5010 with an Intel Core i3 Processor and ATI Mobility 550v graphics chip. I wanted to share some of my thoughts on the experience with you.

First though, I would like you to know the last new laptop I purchased was a Dell Inspiron E1505 with a Core Duo processor and an ATI Raedon x1400 graphics card and it’s a great machine that still works well to this day. Also, I have purchased other refurbished products, including: a Microsoft Zune, an Apple ipod Touch, a Cannon FS11, a Motorola Razor Phone, a T Mobile Sidekick and a DeWalt Rotory Tool.  Every one of these items came to me in like-new condition that gave me confidence that the factory refurbished item would be reliable and every one of them is still working today.

Which brings me to the Dell Inspiron N5010 I opened today and found to be the most disappointing refurbished item that I have ever purchased. First, the packaging is a minor detail but I was surprised that this laptop was literally strapped into a box with plastic wrap – and that’s it. It was the most lack-luster presentation of a $500 laptop that I have ever seen. Not a big deal though. Then when I cut the laptop free I began to examine it. There are a variety of scratches and scuffs, which I expected. I did not, however, expect to find food. Yes, FOOD in the keyboard of the laptop. There are chunks of food between the keys and on the corners of the space bar and Alt keys (I just noticed a food splat behind the monitor too.) There is also grime on the face of the keys which can be clearly seen by viewing the keyboard at an angle against the light. I blew the keyboard with compressed air and now only the crusted food remains. My confidence ebbs. I shut the laptop down and began a more thorough examination of the computers condition and quickly discovered (about an hour ago now) that there is a crack in the laptop casing in the rear right bottom, across a usb port. The impact that caused the crack was hard enough to split the laptops high-impact plastic shell above and below the USB port and to shift the placement of the power button. The crack in the plastic is about an inch long and greatly reduces the shell strength in the right rear corner of the laptop. I feel it is very realistic that the shard will get snagged during normal use and snap off a portion of the shell casing. Lastly, the cracks of this laptop (under the screen) are filled with dust and the CD/DVD tray feels broken.

A refurbished outlet is not a way of recycling your broken junk Dell. Your refurbished items are sold at discounts similar to those offered by Apple, Cannon and Microsoft but their refurbished items are just as good as brand new and yours are not. Your “techs” couldn’t be bothered to clean this laptop before selling it so pardon me if I question their ability to decide if the components are in good condition. I think it is highly likely that your “technician” gave this laptop a passing glance, at best.  Major structural damage that has clearly affects internal components of the laptop and food stuck in the keyboard is not acceptable “Dell Factory Refurbished” condition, IMHO.

Disappointing is the only word for it. I love my Dell E1505. I like refurbished products. With all the competition out there I can’t believe that this is the condition Dell is comfortable with.  I’ve always stuck up for Dell based on my E1505 but the refurbished quality of the Dell Inspiron N5010 is unacceptable.  Epic FAIL for Dell Factory Refurbished.

2.2K Posts

May 16th, 2011 18:00

That would be a bummer. Here are my thoughts on it:

1.) Unless Dell has changed, your expereince is not normal for their refurbished products. Many other users and I have had much better experiences when purchasing from the Dell Outlet.

2.) I think the refurbs still have a 21 day return policy, so you could invoke that, though I am unsure if they would charge a restock fee or not.

3.) If you do keep it, try to document the damage it came with. The worst case scenario woul dbe to have a component fail down the road and have Dell refuse to warrant it due to being caused by accidental damage thet you did not do.

4.) Good luck. I'd be disappointed to.

No Events found!