Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2013 03:00

Inspiron N5110 (5110-6344) Constant Crashing / BSOD - PLEASE HELP!

Hello

My N5110 has recently developed a fault.  It keeps continually crashing and completely locking up (no mouse, keyboard action or anything).  Sometimes it shows a BSOD and restarts.  I am going to write the fault codes down next time it shows BSOD but was hoping someone could shed some light on this?

I have seen a number of other threads on this subject but no definitive answer to the problem?  I havent messed with any BIOS settings, no hardware additions/changes (difficult with a laptop I know) and no major software changes that I can think would cause such a problem.

I have run the Dell Support Centre hardware scan which has shown no issues, I have run the Windows memory diagnostic which ran without any issues and I cannot see anything else obvious which would cause something like this.

Can someone PLEASE help with something to try?  :emotion-9:

Cheers

James

1.1K Posts

March 3rd, 2013 17:00

Hi James,

I appreciate your efforts. I will recommend you to run the diagnostics from F12 menu:

• Restart your system and keep tapping 'F12' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Diagnostics' using up/down arrow keys and press enter.
Please let me know if you get any error code/message.

In case the diagnostics pass, check the system's functionality in 'Safe mode with Networking':

• Restart the system and keep tapping 'F8' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Safe Mode with Networking' using arrow keys and press enter.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

4 Posts

March 10th, 2013 17:00

I have tried running the diagnostics from the F12 menu and this ran fine and passed without problem.

I have tried to run the system in 'safe mode with networking' for some times (difficult to do some tasks with poor resolution) however it seems to run fine in safe mode and hasn't restarted or locked up the times I have tried.

To be clear, When running in 'normal mode' it still continues to completely lock up (the only solution at this point is to restart using the power button) at quite frequent intervals.  It only very occasionally comes up with the BSOD but restarts before I have time to write the error codes down.

What can I try next?

1.1K Posts

March 10th, 2013 23:00

Hi James,

Thank you for the reply. Since the diagnostics passed, I will recommend you to take the system back to its factory settings:

Please share if you have performed PC Restore as mentioned in my previous post. If not, I would recommend you to perform PC Restore.

Note: PC restore will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals (printer, scanner or any USB device) as well.

• Restart PC, press 3-4 times when the Dell logo appears.
  • Advanced Boot Options menu appears, ‘Repair your Computer' is highlighted, press Enter. (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice)
  • Windows is loading files screen appears. Wait for it to load.
  • System Recovery Options prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’.
  • Log in as a user who has administrative credentials; select the username from the drop-down list, type the password and click OK.
  • Choose a Recovery Tool Window appears, select Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup.
  • The Welcome screen will show 2 options; Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files and Select other System Backup and more options. Select the second option (Select other System Backup and more options) and click Next.
  • The next window shows these options; Backup Files and folders and Restore my computer. Select ‘Restore my computer’.
  • Select the Factory Image and click ‘Next’.
  • The next window shows 2 options; 'Preserve new or changed files before restoring to selected System Backup' and 'Restore without preserving new or changed files'. Select the second option (Restore without preserving new or changed files) and click Next.
  • A prompt appears stating that your computer is about to be restored all data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder Backup was created, it will still be saved at the location you selected. Click 'Yes, continue' and click Next.
  • PC restore will initiate. Once done, click Restart.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to create a user account

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

4 Posts

May 6th, 2013 05:00

Hi

I know its been a while but I still need your guys help.  

Shortly after the last post I re-installed windows and all my software.  Within a very short time the laptop had done the exact same freezing/locking up thing.  It has since started to slowly creep back into the same pattern of regularly locking up and loosing all my work.  I have run the hardware diagnostics again and yet again it says no problem.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the cause or a symptom of the problem but when it locks the CPU fan stays on constantly, no matter how long I leave it in its locked state without doing a hard reboot with the power key (which I'm certain isn't good for the laptop)

Another little issue I'm experiencing is that the touchpad is sometimes very sluggish.  I have tried looking at the settings but everything is fine.  What seems to happen is that for a brief period of time (perhaps 10-20 seconds) the touchpad becomes only partially responsive, the mouse jumping over the screen with very little control to actually do things.  After 10-20 seconds it seems to fix itself??  This is starting to happen more and more often too and I wonder whether it is connected in anyway?

Please help because I can't carry on like this

Kind regards

James

May 6th, 2013 07:00

Hi James,

Good to know that diagnostics passed successfully. As you said that the touchpad becomes sluggish at times, I would suggest you to uninstall the touchpad drivers from Control Panel and restart the computer. After restarting, update the drivers from Here.

If the issue persists, you may monitor CPU usage and if it is running at higher percentage all the times, you may follow the steps below to check which program is utilizing maximum CPU resources :

• Right click the taskbar and click on Start Task Manager
  • Click on Performance tab  to check the CPU usage. 
  • Click on Processes tab and click on CPU to arrange tasks in ascending or descending order of CPU usage and identify the program consuming maximum resources and share it here.

Please observe the computer in safe mode and check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps. Please reply with the findings.

September 3rd, 2014 09:00

I am having an issue very similar to this, what would you suggest? I have had my Dell N5110 for a while. Not too long after I got it, it began to freeze and show the "Blue screen". We reinstalled the factory settings on it, wipped everything off and the issue seemed to go away. Well, after we installed the updates on the computer (several hundred) the computer again began to freeze up and we got the blue screen. Whenever we put antivirus software on it, it again freezes up and shows the blue screen. We have done several system restores to try and get this thing to work. The last system restore I did to get the windows updates off worked fine, we no longer have the blue screen popping up. Instead, all of our word programs, the internet, everything are not functioning properly.. either going very slow or not working at all. I can only guess this is due to the computer not having the proper updates which we cannot install because the computer will then crash. So I attempted to do the diagnostic on the Dell website and that has been running for 30 mins to no avail. I really need my laptop to work for school! Please help!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 3rd, 2014 16:00

Run an extended hard drive diagnostic - F12 at powerup.

No Events found!