Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2012 06:00

Inspiron N7110 black screen

We have the Inspiron N7110, bought in April, so in use 6 to 7 months.

My in-law's have the computer in the Philippines and had been using it without issue since brand new.  A few nights ago the computer was being used and was shut down normally.  The next morning on trying to power on, the screen flashed white that went immediately black.   Shutting the machine off and turning on again, the screen never displays Dell or Windows logos (never displays anything) just immediately turns black.   Computer lights are on so the machine has power and is working, just no display at all.

I've read the forums, troubleshooting and diagnostic recommendations.

Can not start in safe mode, as pressing F8 or pressing F12 both produce same result (no display, computer just seems to start up but with black screen).

Ran monitor BIST (built in self test) and this DOES work.  The screen flashes several different colors, however the machine does not start up.  

If a Dell support rep replies here, I can provide any further details including the service tag.

Thanks,

Frank

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 22nd, 2012 06:00

Hi f3jedi,

First, I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and check for issue resolution.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
  3. Remove the battery from the computer.
  4. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  5. Then connect back all the peripherals and check if you are able to turn on the system

Secondly if the above step does not resolve the issue we will have to run the hardware diagnostics on the laptop. Please follow the steps mentioned below to run hardware diagnostics.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
  3. Remove the battery from the computer.
  4. Press and hold down the power button and connect the AC adapter to start the hardware diagnostics without connecting the battery.
  5. Please reply with the error codes you come across.

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 07:00

Ravi,

Thank you for your reply.

1) Tried first series of steps (I guess to remove static electricity), completed, however did not resolve issue (still black screen).

2) Tried to run hardware diagnostics exactly as you described.  Repeated this series of steps multiple times both holding the power button down while connecting AC power and continuing to hold power button down and then holding power button down and releasing AFTER connecting AC.   This never produced anything being displayed on the screen (the power button lights, so power is working, just nothing at all being displayed).  Can't tell if any hardware diagnostic is running as no display.

Thanks,

Frank

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 20:00

?

4 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 05:00

Dell support, I've completed the steps suggested by Ravi and documented the results.  What should I do next to determine the root cause of the display issue I've documented?

Thanks,

Frank

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 25th, 2012 19:00

Hi f3jedi,

I’d suggest that you connect an external monitor to the computer and check if the system is turning on and displaying windows desktop.

Please reply for any queries.

1 Message

January 9th, 2013 10:00

I am up to this last step.  I have it connected to an external & it shows just like my laptop SHOULD show, but my laptop screen is still black....HELP?  PLEASE?

1 Message

December 1st, 2013 11:00

Sorry to revive an older post, but my Dell Inspiron N7110 laptop (purchased through QVC) experienced the exact some issue. It flickered one time when I was playing a DVD... I closed the lid and restarted and it seemed to be fine. I didn't use the laptop very much, really just for playing workout DVDs, would sit on a level surface. Incredibly light use and handled very delicately.

It seems to be a hardware issue, as I am currently using the laptop and it's performing amazing, except the screen does not display (it continues to flicker and then will just go gray most of the time).

3 Posts

December 16th, 2013 11:00

I am also experiencing this problem.  Took the cover off the screen removing screws, etc. and undoing connector, than reconnecting.  I think that I didn't reconnect correctly, but am unsure.  It is beeping like crazy when I turn it on now.  

3 Posts

December 16th, 2013 12:00

I have the screen reconnected properly now (the beeping stopped), but I still have the white/blank screen issue.  Ugh.  Time for a new screen?

3 Posts

December 16th, 2013 12:00

Oh... and it does work when connected to my television, so I know it is a screen related problem.  

No Events found!