Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2013 10:00

Inspiron R17 SE Windows 8 HDD to SSD

Hi All,

My question has been asked on previous threads but I can't find a definite single guide or step by step procedure that worked for all. (or I probably missed).  Would be good to have a single thread that contains all guides that worked for different users.

I recently bought an Inspiron R17 SE (UK).  I'd like to replace the HDD with a 120gb SSD and install Win 8 onto the SSD using the Recovery Media (I have created 4 dvds and also on a usb drive).  

Would appreciate if someone who's successfully installed Win 8 using the Recovery media post a step by step procedure on how they done it.

Thanks in advance.

7 Posts

October 5th, 2013 09:00

I have now installed the new SSD but when I run the recovery disc to reinstall Win8, I get a message "Your hard drive size is not supported for this process. Please use a hard drive at least 931 GB in size".
My laptop doesn't come with the Win8 installation disc.

Dell's Youtube tutorial video on Dell Backup and Recovery clearly states that you can use the recovery media (USB or DVDs) to reinstall Win8 when the hard disc is replaced.

(0:19).

Would appreciate any Dell staff to shed light on this.

7 Posts

October 5th, 2013 09:00

I have now installed the new SSD but when I run the recovery disc to reinstall Win8, I get a message "Your hard drive size is not supported for this process. Please use a hard drive at least 931 GB in size".
My laptop doesn't come with the Win8 installation disc.

Dell's Youtube tutorial video on Dell Backup and Recovery clearly states that you can use the recovery media (USB or DVDs) to reinstall Win8 when the hard disc is replaced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f17jCKpxcE (0:19).

Would appreciate any Dell staff to shed light on this.

8 Posts

November 8th, 2013 02:00

ALBERT8 Did you find any solution? I have exactly the same problem...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19531342/20472151.aspx#20472151

7 Posts

November 8th, 2013 04:00

Hi Albert, I have a Inspiron 15R SE (Canada) and I have the same issue. I bought a 120gb SSD and the guy from tech support told me to do a recovery disk with 4 DVDs, which I did, but when I try to installed them on the new SSD, it says the drive need to be at least 931 GB....

I would also really like to have an explanation or a "how to" that really work!

absRTP

7 Posts

November 8th, 2013 04:00

I found this,

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19511561.aspx

you might try to contact him as well.

Good luck!

7 Posts

November 8th, 2013 05:00

Hi tsitas and absrtp.

I phoned Dell support and requested for the Windows 8 installation disc.  I received it the next day.  I'm really impressed with their level of service and quick they respond.

Used the disc to install Win 8 onto the SSD.  I then moved the 1TB to the secondary HD slot.  All working now.

I don't think there is any other "workaround" to this issue but to install the OS using the Win 8 installation disc.

Hope this helps.

7 Posts

November 8th, 2013 06:00

I just did this, I called them and they told me the DVD will be at my door monday.

8 Posts

November 8th, 2013 07:00

ALBERT8 and absrtp are you from USA?

PS: Thank you very much for your answers

7 Posts

November 8th, 2013 07:00

I am canadian, but I saw it worked for an American too.

7 Posts

November 8th, 2013 09:00

I'm from the UK.

8 Posts

November 8th, 2013 10:00

Nice to hear that. I thought they sent the dvd only in US. :)

7 Posts

November 12th, 2013 03:00

Confirmed, I got mine in the mail yesterday!

8 Posts

November 12th, 2013 04:00

It seems that the only way to bypass this problem is to receive the factory installation dvd from dell. I contacted dell and I am too waiting to receive it.

No Events found!