Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2012 11:00

Installing Windows on new Hard Drive

Is it LEGAL to use the factory.wim file from my old hard drive to install Windows on my new hard drive.  I really just need to know if it violates any of Dell or MIcrosoft's EULA's or ToS's.

• 

16.7K Posts

June 13th, 2012 11:00

AD77,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You cannot use the factory .wim file from an older unlike system on your newer computer. The reason this will not work is because it would be a different hardware configuration and possibly a different software configuration.

6 Posts

June 13th, 2012 12:00

I understand that it cannot be used on a different model due to drivers and software, but what about using it on the same model.  For instance, I have an 11z and my hard drive is failing, if I get a replacement hard drive and use it in that same 11z, the drivers and OS version will be exactly the same.  I'm just curious if it can be done that way legally.  I know in my desktops I can change a certain amount of hardware before Windows starts giving me authentication issues.  

10 Posts

June 13th, 2012 12:00

hmmm Jesse is right :) for a new hard disk, you need to reinstall your windows and all other utility softwares. It will not be compatible with older installations.

No Events found!