Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2014 20:00

Installing an SSD in a Dell New Inspiron 14z 5423?

Hello, I currently have a dell new inspiron 14z, with 512gb hdd and a 60gb of cache-ssd (if that's the right term)I'm planning to buy a Samsung 256gb ssd and install it in place of the hdd - and since the Windows is installed in the HDD, this means that I'll have to reinstall Windows again.

So since I'm a newbie to all the ssd thing, I have a few number of questions -

1) Would I need to change BIOS settings? It's currently set at Intel RST setting (I don't remember the right term, but it wasn't AHCI), and it uses rapid storage technology using the micro ssd. Would I need to disable it to reinstall Windows?

2) Since I don't have a recovery disk, is it ok if I just download Windows from http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/windows-7-sp1-iso-download/
 and install it in the USB?

Thank you so much!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 12th, 2014 22:00

Hi Andrew Pai,

mSATA drive uses the SSD technology to make the system faster. If you replace the normal mechanical hard drive with SSD hard drive the IRST technology feature would be nullified.

However, to use the SSD on the system please change the SATA operation mode in the BIOS from IRST to AHCI. You will need an operating system reinstallation disc to install it on the system. You can use the link below for placing a request for operating system reinstallation disc (USA only).

http://dell.to/TmYffg

If you are not able to place a request for the disc from the link above, then please send me a private message with the computer's service tag, Name registered during the system purchase and email address so that I can check what can be done. To send a private message, click on my name and send private message.

5 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 10:00

I want replace HDD with an SSD.

I do not want to use the mSATA 32GB (cahcé). (Perhaps to install Linux in the future)

How should I set the BIOS?

Intel Speed Step (Enabled / Disabled)

Sata Operation (Intel Smart Response T. / AHCI / ATA)

Intel Rapid Start Technology (Enabled / Disabled)

Boot List Option (UEFI / Legacy)

Any other settings required?

1 Message

June 1st, 2016 13:00

In order to switch from IRST to AHCI, you do not need to reinstall Windows.  I just finished installing a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO into a Dell 14z-5423 with an existing installation of Windows 10 Home.  Just follow these steps to switch from IRST to AHCI:

1. Right click the Windows icon and run Command Prompt (Admin)
2. Invoke a Safe Mode boot with the command: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
3. Restart the PC and enter your BIOS during bootup. (i.e. hold down the F2 key)
4. Change from IRST to AHCI mode then Save & Exit.
5. Windows 10 will launch in Safe Mode.
6. Right click the Windows icon and run the Command Prompt (Admin)
7. Cancel Safe Mode booting with the command: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
8. Restart your PC once more and this time it will boot up normally but with AHCI mode activated.

October 20th, 2017 04:00

Can you please inform  step by step guide to installing Windows 8 with SSD set as cache.

I have my whole recover drive corrupted as well, Is there any way recovering my factory OS image back.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 20th, 2017 06:00

No Events found!