Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2010 22:00

Integrated audio disappeared after virus

I had a particularly nasty virus/malware intrusion recently - though I have been able to rid my computer of the infection, either the virus or my surgery did something to the integrated audio on my Vostro 1500 laptop.

Here are the symptoms I have identified.  Any help would be much appreciated - I want to avoid a complete wipe if at all possible.  I know enough to be dangerous tinkering under the hood and am willing to try pretty much anything with a little instruction.

• The volume icon appears in the taskbar and seems to behave normally, but no sound comes from the speakers from any source.
  • An error pops up when loading iTunes that says "iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration".  (Tell me something I don't know, iTunes...)
  • When I "Add Hardware" from the Control Panel, a PCI device is recognized, but not the audio - rather it appears to be a "Compaq Deskpro Thermal Sensor".  I have installed no such device (though it sounds interesting).
  • I downloaded and reinstalled the "SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio Driver" audio driver for my specific machine, according to the Dell website.  It appears to install correctly, but there is still no sound.

Is my sound officially dead, or is there something else I can try?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 20th, 2010 05:00

I want to avoid a complete wipe if at all possible. 

My best advice after an infection  is to restore the computer to the original factory configuration. I don't see your operating system mentioned, but you use Factory Image Restore for Vista or PC Restore for XP. Both are explained in the Vostro 1500 Owner's Manual. If the hardware is okay then you will have audio again after this procedure and all damage that the virus left behind will be fixed.

If not doing the restore then look at The 'No Audio' Symptom FAQ and do the sense pin test and the Dell Diagnostics audio tests to determine the status of the hardware.

If both of those tests pass, then go down to Section lll and look at 'Configuration Settings' and 'Operating System Problems'.

If everything checks out there then go to the Audio Driver Facts FAQ and try again to reinstall the driver. Start with section 2 and delete all audio driver files from the hard drive. If you have Vista then you have found out that you cannot download the current Sigmatel driver (R171786) for the Vostro 1500, so look at sections 4 and 6 for alternatives to using that particular driver.

If still no luck then I would again advise you to restore back to the factory configuration, after running the hardware tests again to be absolutely certain that the hardware is okay.

No Events found!