Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2017 16:00

Keyboard Backlight Issue on Inspiron 15 5559

Hi everyone,

I have an Inspiron 15-5559 laptop and I've been trying to turn OFF the backlight on the keyboard but none of the methods were successful.

Here are all the things that I tried:

1. Pressing Fn+10, as well as just F10 while the Fn key is locked. Keyboard backlight stays on. 

2. Installed Quickset, same as above.

3. Installed DFEP 2.2 Utility (after uninstalling Quickset), same as above again. 

4. Changing the settings in BIOS in the Keyboard Illumination section.

All of the above will allow me to change the settings on the software side, whether it's selecting OFF/50%/100% brightness, or ON/OFF, or on-screen slider. None of them actually changes the keyboard backlight brightness.

Please give me a hand on how to turn off the keyboard backlight. Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

April 5th, 2017 11:00

I know you already stated this isn't working in BIOS (which might make this a different issue), but I want to say on your system you no longer have to press FN + F10 or have FN locked. So if you're in Windows and just press F10 by itself (without FN locked) does it do anything?

Best regards,

Brad 

10 Posts

April 6th, 2017 12:00

Pressing F10 by itself doesn't change anything with the keyboard illumination.

It just executes whatever software function that was assigned to that key, e.g. search in Firefox and menu bar access in File Explorer.

Do you know of another solution? There has to be a way to control the keyboard backlight.

10 Posts

April 20th, 2017 23:00

Can anyone help? I've had to laptop for 4 months and posted multiple times. I just want to turn off the backlight.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 21st, 2017 06:00

Well, the F10 key, if the Fn key is set to make the F keys function keys and not F keys, will change the brightness, on a normal system.  You can also change the brightness on the Notifications Panel.

My keys also dim if I am not using the keyboard.

If neither of those work, you may have an option to change the operation in the Bios.  Since you said that doesn't work, you may need a driver or a Bios update/reset to defaults..  

Are all the Dell supplied drivers installed?

My system does not show an on screen slider for the backlight.

I do not have Quickset installed so can't test that but I have never used it.  Can we assume the backlight stopped working before that utility was involved?

10 Posts

April 21st, 2017 13:00

Thanks for your reply Saltgrass.

I installed all the newest drivers from the Dell service tag page, as well as the latest BIOS.

I've tried resetting the bios, and it still didn't make a difference.

The backlight was turned on the moment I powered on the computer for the first time. Since then, I was not able to adjust keyboard brightness at all. So it "didn't stop working" because it never worked.

No Events found!