Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 7th, 2016 09:00

Keyboard backlight in Inspiron 15-5559

Hello group,

I'm having trouble turning off the keyboard backlight in my Dell Inspiron 15-5559 with windows 10. All the self-help sites tell me to go to windows mobility center and do it from there, but there's no keyboard option in mobility center. Also, the backlight will sometimes go on and off all by itself when I'm not even touching the laptop. Am I missing a driver or something?

Thanx,

Ron

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 7th, 2016 18:00

Try pressing the function key with F10 once to turn on the keyboard back light. Press function and F10 a second time to increase the brightness of the keyboard back light and pressing function  and F10 for the third time turns off the keyboard back light.   If that doesn't work try just pressing the F10 key by itself and see if that does the trick.  If none of it works try downloading Dell Quickset and see if that helps. 

TB

19 Posts

June 8th, 2016 14:00

Hello Terry,

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded and installed Dell Quickset, but the problem persists. The Keyboard brightness panel now appears in mobility, but seems to have no effect. When I push the slider all the way to the off position, the keyboard still blinks each time I press a key. In other words, it's not really "off." Same with the f10 key. Other ideas?

Thanks,
Ron

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 10th, 2016 11:00

I double checked and I don't see anything in the BIOS to turn on or off the keyboard back light. So pressing FN AND F10 three times in a row doesn't turn off the back light? 

Its possible that replacing the keyboard may do the trick. Or it is simply that the back light never really turns off.  If you are in the US and still under warranty I can process the service if you are interested. 

TB

19 Posts

June 11th, 2016 20:00

Pressing FN and F10 3 times appears to turn off the back light, but then the keyboard flickers on and off each time I hit a key. Plus, with FN and F10 pressed 3 times, the back light remains on even when the lid is closed. That's murder on the battery if AC power is disconnected. I am in the US and bought my laptop on Dec. 7, 2015. Does that mean it's still under warranty?

Thanks, Ron

10 Posts

June 12th, 2016 11:00

I have a 5545 and I just press f10 to turn the keyboard light on or off.

19 Posts

June 12th, 2016 13:00

Glad that's working for you, but it's not for me. -- Ron

19 Posts

June 14th, 2016 09:00

Hello, Terry B, are you still there? I think I'm interested in a keyboard replacement if you think that's best, and if I'm still under warranty.

Thanks, Ron

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 16th, 2016 12:00

Ron,

I have sent you a friendship request. Please accept so that I can send you a private message and get your information about the notebook.  From there I may be able to offer further solutions. 

TB

19 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 08:00

OK. Just did that. Sorry, I've been out of town and off the Net for a week. Back now.

Thanks, R

6 Posts

January 27th, 2017 15:00

I sent mine off for Lcd screen replacement and now I have no control of mine spent hours with Dell support .

No Events found!