Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

May 31st, 2008 12:00

Keyboard "Special Characters"

Can anyone help me how to enter special characters (German) on a US keyboard layout DELL XPS 1530), without having to change to the German keyboard... I only want to be able to add characters like: ü, ß, ö, ä. I tried the Microsoft Custom Layout software... but it simply does not accept the new layout...

Your help will be much appreciated. 

Regards

Tobias 

38 Posts

May 31st, 2008 12:00

look in your start menu in accessories for "character map"  theres a list if theres a way to do it it will be in there .. you'll see them all then be like a code ..  like to get this Þ you press and hold alt while typing 0222

3 Posts

May 31st, 2008 13:00

Hi there... thanks for the tip... found the character map, but it still does not work... Im using Vista - office 2007. When I press the alt key it activates the functions in the tool bar...

66 Posts

May 31st, 2008 15:00

Under vista and Office 2K7 you'll need to load other character sets of the nations you need as well, i do alot of consultancy to Arab Nations and so have to have Arab character set loaded, once installed it will then  show this under character map the extra symbols they use. Windows setup will let you change and add character maps

Message Edited by D3l1r1us on 05-31-2008 05:39 PM
Message Edited by D3l1r1us on 05-31-2008 05:40 PM

3 Posts

June 1st, 2008 10:00

I have all characters inside the character map (Western Europe Set), thats not the the problem, also installed the german profing tools.
The below screen shows what happens when i click on the Alt tab, the toolbar becomes active (in all office application), and when I add the required Keystroke, it obvious does not work.

Alt key

66 Posts

June 1st, 2008 12:00

For me on at the bottom left hand side of word doc. you should see English (United States) i just click on that then it brings up the laungage selection box and i would then select the language for the KB layout i want then when i press key on kb i get the symbol, and for any which are off of the KB i use the character map and again select the font/language to get right characters, fonts are important as not all characters are availble under all fonts. 

Also when you press the keyboard shortcuts arer you pressing all at the same time so to get

ß i would press together CTRL+SHIFT+& then release then press 's' but if all are pressed together then id get a ribbon menu shortcut instead which is what i think your getting

No Events found!