Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 22nd, 2010 13:00

Keyboard wont work. Boots in Diagnostic Boot. Please help

I have been dealing with this problem trying to fix it for some time. I have a Dell inspirion 600 PP12L running windows XP home edition. my service tag is <ADMIN NOTE:Service tag removed per privacy policy>

What happens is if i turn on my computer it will turn on and say "Diagnostic Boot Selected" in the top right corner. If i let it go through it will stall once it gets to multiple colored bars asking if i see lines pres y/n. My keyboard is unresponsive so i cant select anything or hit ESC to exit the diagnostic boot. However if i turn on the computer while holding ANY key it will start right up. It beeps a few times but continues booting as normal. Once the computer is to the desktop and i go to use the internet or something the keyboard wont work at all. NO keys work.

I have replaced the keyboard with a brand new one.

I have reinstalled windows on the computer.

I have reseated both the hard drive and keyboard multiple times.

I have tried uninstalling the keyboard driver and reinstalling a new one but that dos'nt work.

I dont have any other problem with the computer. i can use the mouse pads and buttons and the on screen keyboard.

I would really like to fix this issue because the computer is fine other then this problem. If anyone could offer some help/advice it would be greatly appreciated

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

September 22nd, 2010 15:00

I suggest connecting a known good external USB keyboard to the system and boot up.   If the problems follow while you are using the USB keyboard then it is likely a Windows problem.  If however the system works perfectly and the problem is only with the integrated keyboard  then you may need to replace the keyboard.  If you have already tried multiple keyboards and they all do the same then they may be damage in the socket the keyboard connects on the system board.

TB

No Events found!