Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 23rd, 2014 15:00

Laptop Audio not working

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R 5521. The issue is that the audio is not working but when I restart the same, it works intermittently. 

Can someone please help me resolve this issue. Thanks in Advance.

El

1 Message

July 23rd, 2014 16:00

Try uninstall the audio driver from Device manger and update the driver from online.

Steps:

Goto  Control Panel

Change the view to Small icons

Select system

select Device manager (on left side on the screen)

Select Sound, video and game controlllers

Double click on audio driver

Goto Driver (Tab) - Click on Update driver / uninstall dirver

Reboot your system

Try to play once booted.

Note : Ensure that the audio is not in Mute.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 23rd, 2014 20:00

There has been a recent Windows update that is causing symptoms similar to yours. I suggest first trying the solutions for that before trying other things. Here are the 2 solutions that forum members have reported so far.  

===========================================================================

1st POSSIBLE SOLUTION
Forum member countiss wrote that it is due to Microsoft....

"Update KB2962407, which that states it fixes "Shortened battery life when an idle audio device is not turned off on a computer running Windows".
You do not have to do a System Restore to get rid of the Updates; easier to go to Windows Update, View Update History. On the top of that screen, click on Installed Updates. Then just right-click the update you want to uninstall."

=============================================================================

2ND POSSIBLE SOLUTION
Forum member natakuc4 says that updating to Windows 8.1 will fix it. He wrote:

"If you are still on Windows 8.0. You should upgrade from Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1. See the instructions here:
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/upgrading-to-windows-8-1-from-windows-8-0-via-the-microsoft-store/
Uninstall the audio and video drivers before the update. After the update uninstall the network and chipset drivers and get the Windows 8.1 (WB64A) drivers.."

You can get the drivers he mentions either from your model's support page after you select 8.1 as the operating system in the selection box, or you can get them from Dell's ftp server, where they are named "WB64A" and "WB32A", meaning 8.1 64-bit and 32-bit.
http://ftp.dell.com/published/Pages/index.html

No Events found!