Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2010 12:00

Laptop Inspiron 1318 screen dims when plugged in

When working in the dark and computer plugged in, I lowered the screen brightness using Fn+down arrow key. The next morning I could only brighten it several "notches." I can make it very bright when on battery power, but it dims way down when I plug it in. It shows it's at 100, but it is very dim. I've upgraded the BIOS to A06, but that did nothing. Downloading and running Dell Diagnostics also did nothing to help.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 5th, 2010 04:00

This is either an inverter or mainboard problem - the inverter can be changed for less than $50, while the mainboard would cost $400+.  A repair shop can likely tell you which part is bad.

9 Posts

March 5th, 2010 22:00

Not necessarily an inverter or mainboard issue (but very possible), perhaps some of the settings were accidently changed? check the power settings options for both when your are plugged in and not. on my lappie i have 2 repeditly press the dim/bright fn button for it to work have you tried this?

1 Message

June 29th, 2010 18:00

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I just figured this one out. I think this is a Windows bug. Go into the bios and check the brightness settings. Like you, I turned it all the way up (battery and AC) in windows and with the fn button. However the bios said that the 'battery' brightness was 100% but the AC brightness was only 80%. Try changing that setting in the bios and then booting windows before you spend any $. Btw I use Windows 7 Home Premium x64. Hope this helps!

1 Message

March 7th, 2012 01:00

I used Dell vostro 1400 T7250. Im also meet error so.

Repair: Restart=>F12=>Bios setup=>choose : AC default =8

July 12th, 2013 06:00

Thanks a lot this worked. 

1 Message

August 29th, 2013 12:00

I had the same case of recent with my Dell Latitude E5510 Laptop and I failed to find a working guideline through Googling ...

HOWEVER,

I Solved my Case BY Restarting My Laptop and while restarting, Pressed F2 to initialize Setup Window before full boot, and Under Video, there is an Option for Brightness ... click on it and adjust the percentages on when Laptop Plugged in and that of when on Battery Power.

I am not sure whether the other laptops use F2 to start Setup

Enjoy

1 Message

September 6th, 2013 13:00

Thanks for the help.

I solved my problem with my inspiron 1318 laptop

Restart > F2 key > Video Options > Screen Brightness

(changed from 2 to 8)

No Events found!