Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

C

10 Posts

July 26th, 2008 06:00

Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

I'm using an Inspiron 1420 with Windows Vista Basic. When I close the lid to my laptop, it does not go into sleep mode. This is what happens when I close the lid after using the laptop for a bit; the wifi indicator turns off, the hard disk indicator blinks rapidly and a few seconds later, the wifi indicator turns back on again. However, if I boot up my laptop and close the lid without running any applications, it goes to sleep nicely.

I read the thread posted by Ozecard and found the list of devices that wakes my laptop;

1. Conexant HDA D330 MDC V.92 Modem

2. High Definition Audio Controller

As I'm not that much of a techie, before making any changes, I'd appreciate any enlightenment on what the above devices do and if it will cause any catastrophe if I uncheck 'Allow this device to wake up the computer'.

Thanks!

302 Posts

July 28th, 2008 01:00

uncheck 'Allow this device to wake up the computer'. this should solve your problems. it did mine anyways.

10 Posts

July 28th, 2008 22:00

Thanks shaglund1!

The notebook goes to sleep after I've unchecked 'Allow this device to wake up the computer' for the High Definition Audio Controller.

I was just wondering, do I do the same for the Conexant HDA D330 MDC V.92 Modem as well, as it's one of the other device that is waking my notebook?

*EDIT*

The notebook went to sleep the FIRST time I closed the lid after unchecking 'Allow this device to wake up the computer' for the High Definition Audio Controller.

The notebook refused to go to sleep when I close the lid after that!!! So I unchecked 'Allow this device to wake up the computer' for the Conexant HDA D330 MDC V.92 Modem too, just in case. It didn't work.

I went through powercfg -devicequery wake_armed and no devices are waking my system up now. However, the problem still persists.

Message Edited by Chermaine on 07-28-2008 07:17 PM

302 Posts

July 29th, 2008 00:00

i did it for my high def audio and the wireless card and it worked for me... try doing the same for the wireless...

10 Posts

July 29th, 2008 02:00

It's already set to allow the system to sleep.

Could there possibly be anything else that is waking the system up??? Or could this notebook be defective?

302 Posts

July 29th, 2008 11:00

make sure windows is up to date and your drivers... (video, modem, BIOS, and wireless)

something i just thought of, are you running trend-micro antivirus?

10 Posts

July 29th, 2008 12:00

Yup, drivers are all up to date.

I'm using AVG antivirus.

No Events found!