Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 7th, 2016 22:00

Laptop doesn't connect with Wireless keyboard and mouse

My two year old Inspiron 15r 5537 running Windows 8.1 has stopped recognizing the dell KM632 wireless mouse and keyboard I got with it.
In Device Manager, the wireless USB receiver is flagged when it is inserted.  When I look at the properties for the flagged USB receiver, it shows an error code 28 and indicates the device's driver is not present.  When I try to get Windows to find a driver for it, it can't find one online or on the computer.  It didn't come with any installation files, and there's no driver on the Dell KM632 support site.
I've tried moving the receiver to another USB port - no luck.  The USB ports are able to report firmware data (i.e. the KM632 model number) from the USB receiver and work with an external hard drive, so they're okay.  The KM632 works on another computer so it's okay too.
It appears I just need to somehow get the KM632 driver back.  
Thanks for any light you can shed on this matter.

9.4K Posts

December 8th, 2016 05:00

Hi johnemig,

Thanks for posting.

Have you tried try deleting the keyboard driver in the device manager then reboot. It will reinstall at startup?

Here is some information you may find useful:  http://dell.to/2h9hKJX

35 Posts

December 8th, 2016 08:00

Thank you for your reply.  

There's no driver to start with.  I've already tried to have Windows find one, but it couldn't.  When it boots, it just flags the USB receiver for the KM632 in Device Manager as not having a driver.  It doesn't try to load a driver for it.  As described in the fist post, I've tried using Windows to get a driver by clicking the update driver button on the USB receiver's properties page that comes up in Device Manager.

9.4K Posts

December 8th, 2016 11:00

Have you tried this?

Run hardware and devices troubleshooter and check. Please follow these steps:

a. Press Windows + W keys, type troubleshooting in the search box and press Enter.
b. Click "View all" and then click "Hardware and Devices".
c. Click "Next" and follow on-screen instructions.

35 Posts

December 8th, 2016 12:00

I ran the troubleshooter again.  It reported the problem was a missing driver.  When I applied the fix offered by Windows, it checked the computer and on line.  It neglected to find a driver.

By the way, it did this three times before the troubleshooter completed.

It reports:

Problems found

Dell KM632 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse doesn't have a driver Not fixed

Hardware changes might have been detected Detected

35 Posts

December 8th, 2016 12:00

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'd already run the troubleshooter.  I'll try doing it your way though since I don't remember how exactly I got to it.

Oh and I did a search for new hardware from Device Manager too.

9.4K Posts

December 9th, 2016 03:00

johnemig,

It appears from all the information I have that the keyboard has failed, and would need to be replaced.  Please contact Tech Support for additional troubleshooting and resolution.

35 Posts

December 9th, 2016 07:00

Tech Support says "something in Windows is preventing the driver from installing."  For a full answer it's $129 - more than the wireless keyboard and mouse to start with!

As I posted originally, the KM632 works on other computers.  Additionally (see below), two other wireless keyboard and mouse sets which work fine on other computers do not work with the  Inspiron 15r 5537.

Here are other troubleshooting steps taken since the previous post:

- search for new hardware from Device Manager

- Dell diagnostic - it only checked the laptop's keyboard and touch pad

- manually deleted flagged items in Device Manager, reboot

- verified all drivers for USB items in Device Manager are up to date

- System Restore to a few days before the problem.  System Restore didn't work due to 'unspecified error in System Restore'.  However, on reboot, System Restore notified:  System Restore completed successfully.  ... 12/2/2016 ... documents have not been affected.

- hard shutdown (shift button down while selecting shut down), restart, insert receiver - still doesn't work

- tried several other hard shutdowns along the way

- tested system with Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.

Windows displayed an installing device notification window with a status bar

It did not work though.

- tested system with a different Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.

Windows displayed an installing device notification window with a status bar.

It did not work either.

35 Posts

December 9th, 2016 08:00

Can you suggest additional forums to post this question?  I've already put it on Microsoft's Windows hardware and drivers forum.

9.4K Posts

Since it appears you've tried everything else, how about an OS reinstall?

35 Posts

Last resort...

I did do a System Restore though.

35 Posts

December 13th, 2016 12:00

No one on here or Microsoft's Windows 8 forum knows what to do.  

I'm offering a "why don't you just give up" answer.  For $35 I got a Bluetooth mouse and can use the laptop keyboard for the spreadsheets since, thankfully, it has a number pad.

I will get my end-of-year work done!

No Events found!