Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2014 21:00

Laptop wont start

I have 17r-5721 laptop that I got new in march 2013. when I go to start it most of the time it doesn't start light stays on and there is a constant ticking sound. Push button and the light goes off and ticking stops. It does this most of the time, it does start once in a while and works fine then. Ive been told its the mother board. It should last longer than 14mo. I don't see where Dell sells them.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 6th, 2014 22:00

Hi chubley53,

I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and check if you are able to switch ON the system properly without beeps.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
  3. Remove the battery from the computer.
  4. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  5. Then connect back all the peripherals and check if you are able to turn on the system properly without beeps.

Also, I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer if it’s starting up by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

http://dell.to/164l6g4

Please let us know the number of beep codes you receive they should beep in a pattern.

16 Posts

June 7th, 2014 11:00

Hi ive tried all the things yoy said to do. When it doesn't start the left lite is on and there is a constant tick no beeps it stays the same utill u push the power button a to turn the light off

16 Posts

June 9th, 2014 20:00

Any ideas?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 12th, 2014 11:00

Hi chubley53,

I suggest you reseat a few components, like memory, hard drive and optical drive and see if that makes a difference. In the link below punch in the system service tag or express service code and you can access the user manual for removing and reseating components.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

16 Posts

June 12th, 2014 12:00

i HAD 2 TECHS CHECK IT OUT BOTH SAID MOTHERBOARD IS BAD  NOT WORTH FIXING  MARCH 2013-MAY 2014   IT SHOULD HAVE LASTED LONGER  MY 1997 GATEWAY STILL WORKS.  DELL SHOULD SEND ME A NEW ONE NO CHARGE

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 14th, 2014 09:00

Hi chubley53,

Electronic parts can fail at any time. So to avoid failing of any electronic parts on the computer Dell provides the warranty. If the system is in warranty the necessary part will be replaced.Please private message us the system serrvice tag and contact details so that I can arrange a callback from our out of warranty repairs team.

16 Posts

June 14th, 2014 10:00

Private message doesn't seam to work

16 Posts

June 14th, 2014 16:00

Ive tried several times to send a message doesn't send my message
No Events found!