Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 3rd, 2015 10:00

Latitude 13 7350 2 in 1 - buzzing noise on CPU activity

I bought a Latitude 13 7350 off the Outlet (8GB ram, 256GB SSD, LTE card) just over ten days ago putting me near the end of the 14 day UK return window and annoyingly it's developed an intermittent fault where it makes a noticeable buzzing sound from the keyboard/base section.  It sounds similar to a hard drive noise but louder and obviously not a hard drive since there isn't one in the machine.  It seems to be getting more constant and related to CPU activity, it's loud when loading a webpage then goes quiet until I scroll the webpage.

Disabling the backlighting and taking it on/off charge doesn't seem to make any difference so I'm not sure what could be causing it, my concern is niggly little problems like this can be a pain to sort in which case I may be better sending this one back and trying to get another.  I realise this seems to be a rare machine but thought it worth checking first to see if anyone was aware of this issue, certainly none of the reviews mentioned it.

Thanks, 

John

1 Message

January 29th, 2016 13:00

I also have the same symptom.

Did you get fix it?

Thanks

Andrew

75 Posts

January 29th, 2016 14:00

I also have the same symptom.

Did you get fix it?

Unfortunately I've not had much luck with this, on both attempted repairs they ended up breaking the laptop then when the laptop was sent away to fix both issues they damaged it further after accidentally replacing the wrong parts.  It's away for repair and well overdue for return again, I've barely had the laptop for the last couple of months so I'm at the point that if it comes back in one piece I'm probably just going to live with the buzzing noise.

It's interesting to hear your laptop has the same issue as I couldn't find any other users with the laptop, it sounds like it may be typical of the laptop.  I couldn't ever get it to happen consistently, sometimes it wouldn't happen for a week and other times it would happen constantly.

John

75 Posts

February 8th, 2016 16:00

The laptop is back from repair, I don't know what they've replaced as it looks like they've replaced the display and other parts around there rather than the base which is definitely still the same.  It's also unsurprisingly still making the same noise, I've recorded it here:

I wasn't planning returning it again for the noise as it doesn't seem worthwhile but if your machine is making the same noise it must be a quirk of this model.

John

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

February 20th, 2016 15:00

Hi Guys

I am having the same issue. The noise is loud and very irritating and distracting.

I think I may have solved it or it may have dampened the sound enough that i can barely hear it now.

Videos of the noise:

Issue:

I didnt know why this noise was coming, assumed at first it is static and from the speakers. So I Turned off the speakers but the noise was still there.

The noise is there when the base is connected, but when it is disconnected and i perform the same task, it does not make the noise. So I assume it is from the base.

Potential Solution:

After reading this thread and people are saying its due to CPU activity which made seance, I tried to test this theory, and i downloaded a CPU stress test. The CPU stress test is free, its called HeavyLoad by JAM Software

I ran a stress test, to see if it caused the problem, and it did for a second, but then it stopped.

The sound does not come any more. OI have restarted the PC and still no more buzzing sound on CPU activity.

Only time will tell. If it comes back I will come back to this post and edit/reply. (note that I have only done this 15 mins before making this post)

If you guys try this, please reply with your result. Also it would be interesting to see if it is solved by and stress test software.

75 Posts

February 20th, 2016 16:00

The problem is what you've described happens normally without doing a stress test, I've never worked out a pattern to why it happens or stops but it's rarely consistent for me - on some occasions it will suddenly stop out of the blue and I won't hear it for another two weeks then other times it's doing it throughout the day.

I've tried the CPU tests in the bootable diagnostics to eliminate Windows/software/drivers but never managed to get it to happen there although I don't know if that's because it can't happen or it's due to the inconsistency of the fault appearing.

Unfortunately I think it's part of the machine, I regret not sending mine back straight away when it first did it but I liked the machine otherwise and didn't think it would be an issue getting it sorted.  I have had some base parts replaced but I don't think it's been done properly (I can clearly see from an existing scratch they haven't replaced the main part of the base as they were supposed to have done twice) however I'm not risking anything further repairs to the machine given how incapable the service centre here is.

1 Message

March 24th, 2016 08:00

I am also having this same problem, not sure what the cause is either.  I also sent it in for repair and they did not fix the problem.  I will try your suggestion and reply if it works for me or not. thanks.

1 Message

April 19th, 2017 02:00

Just tried it out... WORKED GREAT! Thanks so much.

Tom N in Phoenix, AZ

4 Posts

December 1st, 2017 03:00

Did you solve the problem?

I think the problem is not the main unit but the keyboard dock.

Can you check my post?

en.community.dell.com/.../20025533

75 Posts

December 1st, 2017 06:00

No, I didn't sort the problem - the keyboard was replaced multiple times and each unit did the same thing, after being without the unit for weeks at a time (it was sent back to Dell a few times) and Dell breaking other parts on it I gave up when I saw other people are having the same issue.

Whether it's inherent on all of these PC's or not I don't know but Dell don't seem to be able to fix it and it seems quite a few people are having the same problem so I just live with it.

No Events found!