Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2017 04:00

Latitude 5480, WD15 dock, Dual monitors

Hi all,

Currently running a Latitude 5480 through a WD15 Dock. I have two monitors but can't get both to display. The dock itself has a number of connection options however it doesn't have two VGA ports. If I connect one of the monitors to the VGA port that works ok. If I use an adapter on the other VGA monitor to plug into the HDMI port on the dock it doesn't detect it on the Latitude.

Anybody successfully managed to get two VGA monitors to connect using the WD15, and if so how did you manage it?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 20th, 2017 08:00

Let's backup. What are the two specific monitor models? Link to the specific adapter you are using to try to connect the second monitor to the WD15. Read through the WD15 article, "How to Use and Troubleshoot the Dell Dock WD15".

1 Message

November 1st, 2017 11:00

I have the same issue:  A Latitude 5480 connected to a Dell Dock WD15, with two Dell monitors connected: an E2210 and P2210.  The connection to the E2210 is via a standard VGA cable and it works. The connection to the P2210 is an HDMI connector on the monitor end, and a small USB-type connector on the Dell Dock with a funny symbol; it's between the VGA and HDMI inputs.  The connection to the P2210 does not work.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 1st, 2017 13:00

Ok, I checked Google Images.  The output between VGA and HDMI is Mini-DisplayPort, and my guess is that the DisplayPort output on the WD15 doesn't support "dual mode DisplayPort", which means the more common "passive" DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapters won't work, since they rely on the source to fall back to HDMI/DVI signalling.  If you needed to convert that output to HDMI, you would either need an "active" adapter that can convert a native DisplayPort signal to HDMI inside the adapter itself, which is less common and more expensive, OR given that your E2210 is using VGA (and assuming you're ok with the inferior image quality of analog signals) and your P2210 has an HDMI input, then why don't you just get a regular HDMI cable to connect the P2210 to the WD15's HDMI output, no need for any adapter?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 1st, 2017 13:00

A "small USB-type connector on the Dell Dock with a funny symbol"??  Can you perhaps take a look at the WD15's manual on support.dell.com to find out what port you're talking about, or at least post a photo of the port you're using?

No Events found!