Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

January 17th, 2008 17:00

Latitude C800

I loaded Windows XP Pro on a Latitude C800. I am trying to find a driver for the NIC but am having no luck. In Device Manager the NIC reads as a 1394 Net Adapter. I downloaded the Windows 2000 driver for the NIC and the system says The wizard it could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed. Where can I find device drivers for a Latitude C800 with Windows XP

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 17th, 2008 17:00

Do you have a network card in the system? On a lot of the older C-series, the adapter was optional, not standard. Even if the jack is there, you may not have a network interface.

January 17th, 2008 18:00

There is a network jack on the side of the machine. When I plug a network cable into it I get no link lights. How can I tell if there is a network interface?

7 Posts

January 17th, 2008 20:00

@DarkKnight36, ejn63 is correct, since you have no link lights on the network adapter after plugging in a live network connection (it is live isn't it?) you do NOT have an on-board NIC. DELL often did that and then included a plug for the RJ-45 jack, of course these never lasted long in the port. I suggest you get a-hold of a nice PCMCIA NIC. And the 1394 Net adapter? That's the firewire I believe, (somewhat hazy, end-of-work-day), and a chipset driver installation can install that device correctly in Device Manager.

4K Posts

January 18th, 2008 06:00

QUOTE:
There is a network jack on the side of the machine. When I plug a network cable into it I get no link lights. How can I tell if there is a network interface?

The C800 uses either a MiniPCI Modem or a MiniPCI combo card. Unless you have the latter type card, you do not have a NIC connection possible. There are two plugs on the cable from the RJ11 and RJ45 ports, a small one plugs into a Modem and the larger one plugs into the NIC section on a combo card as well as the modem plug into its section
No Events found!