Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

2 Posts

June 10th, 2007 01:00

Latitude C840 Memory Problem

Hello,

I have a Latitude C840 and the other day when I started it up it said the memory had changed, strike the f1 key to continue. My memory went from 512mb down to 256mb.

I've had 512mb of memory installed (made up of 2 - 256mb sticks) since I bought the computer.  I switched the memory sticks around and I still get the same message. I'm not aware of anything that has changed.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?

TIA

Mitchps

2.2K Posts

June 10th, 2007 02:00

You either have a bad stick or just not getting it seated well. Tey them one at a time and see if each one will show 256. Also, could be the memory socket so test each one one at a time in each slot.

2 Posts

June 11th, 2007 03:00

After a little bit of experimenting I was able to determine that the problem is with the DIMM A slot . . . When I tried to start the computer with a single memory stick in the DIMM A slot, the computer wouldn't come up.

I read through a couple of other posts relating to memory and I came across one that suggested that the stick might not be seated all the way. I left the memory cover off and put a little pressure on the stick while starting the computer and it came up. I did as they suggested in the other post, and placed a small roll of paper between the cover and the memory stick, creating a little pressure on the stick, and have it working for now and once again have all my available memory.

As mentioned in the other post . . . if someone has a better solution I'd like to hear it.

TIA

Mitchps

1 Message

March 12th, 2011 13:00

Have you had any more problems.

No Events found!