Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

March 30th, 2006 11:00

Latitude D600: not work with Dell Performance USB Keyboard (SK-8125)

When plugging in the keyboard, Windows always prompts for driver for "Dell USB Keypad Hub".
However, there's no such a driver for SK-8125 in Dell website.
The webpage http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R53121&formatcnt=1&fileid=62989
contains an application for SK-8125:
USB Keyboard Hot Key Blocker for Windows 2000 and Windows XP, which can be used to disable hot keys on Dell Performance keyboard.
It does NOT contain a driver.

The strange thing is when D600 boots up, it recognizes the keyboard, and the keyboard can be used if entering BIOS.
However, after booting into Windows, the keyboard is disabled.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

April 2nd, 2006 00:00

Hmm... suspicious. On 3/30/2006 (same day) my SK-8125 keyboard wasn't recognized by my D600 either. I put it on another computer and no problem.

The device manager says the device is "unknown". So I tried removing and reinstalling the USB driver, the Microsoft debugger, removing and reinstalling, etc. but no luck.

Oddly, that same day it didn't recognize the monitor on the docking station. It would work in VGA mode, but as soon as I increased resolution I got a blank screen. That was fixed by telling the hardware manager to find new drivers for the PnP Monitor. It got the screen name and installed the drivers.

Should there be a driver for this keyboard if only because of the shortcut buttons on top? I couldn't find a SK-8125 driver.

-D6

April 2nd, 2006 06:00

This worked for me:

1. I got another super generic cheap USB keyboard.
2. I unplugged my SK-8125.
3. I plugged in the cheap USB keyboard.
4. My D600 immediately recognized it and set it up.
5. I unplugged that keyboard and plugged the SK-8125 into the same USB port. It then recognized and added the SK-8125 keyboard and it's been working since.

I tried power cycling everything and unplugging and replugging the keyboard before so I don't think it was simply removing the SK-8125 keyboard that did it.

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2006 03:00

Thanks a lot, DSixHundred.
I will try to find a super generic USB keyboard.

Actually, I have tried another USB keyboard (from HP), and Windows also requres for a driver.

And today I tried using Linux on the D600, and the SK-8125 works well, so I think the problem should be caused by the OS, Windows XP.
No Events found!