Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

February 3rd, 2017 21:00

Latitude E5470 cannot recover from suspend on Ubuntu 16.10 if power cable removed

I recently got a Latitude E5470 and installed Ubuntu 16.10. If I suspend the computer and then remove the power cable at any point while the computer is suspend (even if I plug it back in before starting up), the system reboots when I start up.

I haven't really customized the system in any way. My configuration has:

Intel i5-6440HQ CPU
Intel Graphics 530
1920x1020 non-touch display
500GB Hybrid hard drive
Intel 8260 wifi card
Camera
16 GB (2x8GB) RAM

(I submitted a Launchpad bug report here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1661741 but I thought it made sense to ask here.)

Have other people experienced this problem or have any ideas about how to address. I tried the Ubuntu power diagnostic steps at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKernelSuspend but I, at least, could find anything notable there.

8 Posts

February 6th, 2017 16:00

So, a strange thing happened. In order to mitigate the problem, I decided to switch to having the computer hibernate instead of suspend (I outline below the steps I did to do that). And then, on a whim, I tried suspending again. And it stopped crashing, even after I switched back to suspend completely. I didn't do any software updates or, as far as I know, anything else in the interim. So right now, I have my computer set to suspend and it seems to work fine. I was waiting a few days to see if the problem reemered but right now, I can't reproduce it at all. I'm curious if this fixes the problem for anyone else and/or if the problem recurs.

For your edification (and maybe for other people), here were the steps I followed:

$  gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-type 'hibernate'

$  gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power \

lid-close-ac-action 'hibernate' \

&& gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power \

lid-close-battery-action 'hibernate'

- In /etc/systemd/logind.conf, make sure '#HandleLidSwitch=suspend' is commented out, and add HandleLidSwitch=hibernate

- And then I saved the file listed below to /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla

To switch back, I reran the shell commands with 'suspend' instead of hibernate and then removed the changes to the config files.

** com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla **

[Re-enable hibernate by default in upower]

Identity=unix-user:*

Action=org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate

ResultActive=yes

[Re-enable hibernate by default in logind]

Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate;org.freedesktop.login1.handle-hibernate-key;org.freedesktop.login1;org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate-multiple-sessions;org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate-ignore-inhibit

ResultActive=yes

[Disable suspend in upower]

Action=org.freedesktop.upower.suspend

ResultActive=no

[Disable suspend in logind]

Action=org.freedesktop.login1.suspend;org.freedesktop.login1.handle-suspend-key;org.freedesktop.login1;org.freedesktop.login1.suspend-multiple-sessions;org.freedesktop.login1.suspend-ignore-inhibit

ResultActive=no

14 Posts

October 10th, 2017 14:00

One question - Which battery you have?

8 Posts

October 10th, 2017 20:00

I have the 4 cell battery for E5470.

No Events found!