Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2016 02:00

Latitude E5570 - Coil Whine Noise & Others

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Latitude E5570(the best I could find from this series) and the very next day I found the following problems:
- A coil whine noise was there almost all the time(very annoying, especially for a laptop produced in 2016);
- I tired to downgrade from windows 10 to windows 7( I have a software from Siemens that requires Windows 7); even though Dell is saying that this computer should work also on windows 7 and they have drivers on DVD that came with the computer and also on their website I wasn't able to install all hardware components; I was not able to find drivers for everything inside the computer, and during the installation of certain drivers Windows crashed a few times; after a couple of days spent of trying to make windows 7 work I just gave up and installed windows 10 back;
- Finally I realized the battery was damaged; Dell's battery test showed that everything is fine, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get more that 90 minutes of autonomy without having to recharge the battery;

So, I sent the laptop back and asked Dell for a replacement. Yesterday I received the new one.....and the show goes on:
- The coil whine noise is still there, but even louder and almost permanent at this one;
- I don't have the guts to make the downgrade from windows 10 to 7 any more;
- I also order an E-Port replicator docking station and tried to connect an LG ultra-wide monitor(2560x1080). The funny thing is that if I'm connecting the monitor directly to laptop's the HDMI port I can select from windows/graphics control the highest (native) resolution of the monitor(2560x1080), but when I'm connection the monitor to the docking station at DVI port I cannot get more than the 1920x1080. What the hack Dell???

So that being said ... I am not a very satisfied customer right now. Now, I'm asking Dell's support, what should I do..send everything back, get my money back and go with a different brand? Should I ask for laptop number 3 in 2 and a half weeks from getting the first on?

6 Posts

January 9th, 2017 21:00

Hi,

similar story, got a month ago. The best E5570 specs I could grab. Was very excited until powered on and heard the whining. Contacted support the very next day. Had the latest BIOS + drivers. Eventually technician came and replaced the motherboard, but it didn't help. Then he contacted someone higher in the hierarchy and told me that apparently Dell is aware of the problem but fix is not yet available. He suggested to contact back in, say, 6 month.

The hope that the whining issue for this quite nice machine will eventually be fixed was the only thing that kept me from returning it back immediately. Now waiting for the Dell to live up to their word.

P.S.: one sub-optimal way to reduce the noise a little bit is to disable the C-STATES in the BIOS. Be aware that laptop will run hotter and will drain the battery faster.

4 Posts

January 11th, 2017 07:00

Thank you for your feedback. I'm also waiting one of their service teams to replace the motherboard, even though I don't believe this will fix the issue. It's not the biggest problem that I have with this particular laptop but it's the most annoying one.

6 Posts

January 11th, 2017 07:00

Please let me know how it goes :)

Thank you!

6 Posts

January 13th, 2017 08:00

sad panda :( I will ping Dell again around May and will ask about newer revision. Will post the update here for you.

4 Posts

January 13th, 2017 08:00

A technician from Dell came by today and replaced the motherboard to my Latitude E5570. After he finished replacing the board the BIOS was updated to the latest firmware and surprise... the coil whine noise is still there(loud and clear!!!). So, replacing the motherboard did not help.

1 Message

June 17th, 2017 01:00

Hi snekbaev, I am also interested in how did it go for you? Did you eventually ask for another mainboard replacement?

6 Posts

June 17th, 2017 14:00

Hi, I was about to do so in May, however, I saw they released a new BIOS version 13.x, so I updated it on two identical laptops and both died. Technician had to replace both boards. The issue still remains, though it feels like one of the replaced boards is less "noisy".

6 Posts

July 12th, 2017 13:00

Hi guys, try the 1.15.4 BIOS update. I think it is less noisy now.

P.S.: my battery operation mode is "Primarily AC use" and thermal management is set to "Ultra performance". Haven't tried other modes yet.

P.S.S.: all drivers, OS and misc. software are up to date.

4 Posts

July 12th, 2017 13:00

I was happy to see they released another BIOS firmware. I installed it and everything looked fine until I realized that my docking station is not working properly any more. My extra wide monitor connected to the docking station had no image any more. So, 15 minutes later I had to make a BIOS downgrade:(

I guess they still have some bugs to fix...

No Events found!