Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 24th, 2014 07:00

Latitude E6440 keyboard double letters

My keyboardd generates double letters (I'm leaving them in as I type to show what II mean). I've searched this forum for similar probleems and have already done the following:

• Updated BIOS
  • Installed/uupdated toouchpad ddriver and input ddriver
  • Installed touchfreeeze
  • Unchecked the keyboard driver in device manager andd restarted the computer

None of those steps has solved the problem.

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

July 4th, 2014 03:00

HI,

You may try updating the BIOS from the link here. Select your operating system and select BIOS and install it.

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

June 24th, 2014 10:00

Hi pcurrid-uiuc

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum.

A) You may try if the keyboard works in Safe mode with networking

B) Try an external USB keyboard and check if the issue persists.

Do let me know if you have further queries.

2 Posts

June 26th, 2014 11:00

My E6440 laptop keyboard has the same behavior. I am using an external keyboard right now to type this.

I have been using Dell laptops for years, without having this problem, so I can't figure out what's happening.  It is my job issued laptop and my IT checked with our Dell rep. Since the keyboard passes all diagnostic tests they won't replace it.

This is driving me crazy!! I use it for travel and cannot carry an external keyboard.

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

June 26th, 2014 13:00

Hi ,

We have passed this to our backend team. We will keep you posted.

Please wait for our reply.

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

July 1st, 2014 12:00

Hi HENRI003

We are still waiting for an update from out team . We will keep you posted at the earliest.

1 Message

July 28th, 2014 17:00

I have the exact same issue with my E6440 bought not too long ago, and it is absolutely frustrating.

I've been using Dell notebooks for 7 years, and this is my third Latitude E series, but never had a problem like this before.  I've stuck with the Latitude all these years because it's supposed to be one of the most established, stable Dell notebook models, yet I can't even type this simple post without having to go back repeatedly and delete extra letters...  now it takes almost twice as long to write anything.

Do you guys have any fix for this anytime soon???????

September 11th, 2014 12:00

I upgraded my BIOS from A05 to A07.  It seems to be better but I'm not sure.  Assume this fixed it.  If I have problems later, I'll come back and report.

September 11th, 2014 12:00

I have the same problem and will post what fixes it if I figure it out.

2 Posts

September 15th, 2014 10:00

The BIOS revision solved the problem. Thank you!!

1 Message

December 3rd, 2014 06:00

In DELL Latitude 6440, openSUSE 13.2 Linux 64-bit with KDE.

Latest BIOS version A07 is installed (E6440A07.exe, Release date 04 Jul 2014).

The problem is very similar, suddenly last pressed key is repeated, but I no longer press it; the input repeats until you press any other key. Seems the same bug as in here and here

1 Message

January 8th, 2016 13:00

I know this is an old thread but I just bought a Dell e5550 that has this issue. My BIOS version is A10. There is no update to apply, I've tried that already. I've searched everywhere for a solution and nothing helps. Typing has been a miserable experience because I either have to type slowly or spend more time fixing the double type errors, my primary use for a computer is to type/write. I was about to file a ticket with Dell, knowing that it's not a hardware issue so it's not like they can just replace something to fix it, most people are saying that Dell can't do anything other than suggest the BIOS update. I just installed Linux Mint and I am not seeing the double typing issue while using Linux , now I am wondering why that is. I will be using Linux as my primary OS for as long as it is more stable/useful than Windows 10 but I still really want to know why I can type fine in Linux but not Windows?

2 Posts

April 8th, 2016 16:00

Same problem with a 6420. Happens on with the u & v.

I think everyone is barking up the wrong tree by looking for Bios updates etc.

I'm confident this is actually "contact" related and a replacement keyboard is required.

Got one on order,so i'll keep you informed.

1 Message

May 26th, 2016 04:00

I have an E7240 with the same problem.  It does it with numbers too.  Makes my spreadsheets crazy.

Please let us know if something can be done about it.

2 Posts

May 29th, 2016 18:00

Update.

New keyboard for $30 delivered and the problem is sorted.:emotion-1:

No Events found!