Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2013 06:00

Latitude E6530 won't wake up

Hi,

I got a Latitude E6530 with an E-Port II a few weeks ago. In general it's great but I have had one annoying problem a few times:

The laptop is docked with the lid closed, and two external monitors, and an external USB keyboard and mouse connected. It's running Windows 7 Ultimate.

The laptop goes into standby after a few minutes of inactivity.

When I press the power button on the dock to resume from standby, the external monitors stay in standby mode and the mouse and keyboard don't power on (no num lock light or laser on the bottom of the mouse).

If I undock the laptop and open it, the screen stays off and it doesn't respond to keyboard or touchpad input, even after several minutes. However the power light is on and the hard disk light occasionally blinks. The only solution is to power off the laptop by holding the power button for a few seconds.

Note that this doesn't happen every time that the laptop is woken from standby, it's only happened 3-4 times in a month. The Windows logs don't show any errors either.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you solve it?

Thanks,

Alistair

17 Posts

January 15th, 2015 02:00

This blog suggests that it might be caused by the O2Micro driver for the embedded cardreader:

gnawgnu.blogspot.nl/.../fix-for-wake-after-sleep-freeze-on-dell.html

2 Posts

February 20th, 2015 13:00

On top of disabling O2xxx services I need to do one more thing to fix the issue on my Dell E5440 - change BIOS. So I checked BIOS, go in Power Management to enable Block Sleep which will make Performance, 'Rapid Start Technology' not used. After that BIOS change, Sleep feature is no longer available on Windows 7. The issue is solved for 3 months now.

1 Message

August 31st, 2015 06:00

Earlier in the month I started having similar issues all of a sudden on my E6430. In the end the problem was resolved by updating the video driver.

2 Posts

July 15th, 2016 06:00

So far, so good.

I have a Dell Latitude E6540 with a docking station and two (2) external monitors. I was concerned I might be able to connect the external monitors AND the have the laptop display (effectively having three (3) monitors) as there was no separate NVIDIA graphics adapters as in previous versions of the Latitude 6XXX, but surprising I was able to get it to work using just Intel the HD Graphics 4600 driver. I had the same issue however, where the machine would not wake once the lid was closed.

I found that uninstalling the BayHub Tech\O2Micro driver, deleting it from the disk and allowing Windows to use it's own drivers solved the problem. Just be sure you tick the box to delete from disk when you uninstall the driver.

Changing video drivers, Optimus BIOS setting (there was none), Sleep Mode did not solve the issue.

April 1st, 2013 13:00

I just had the same problem again. This time I noticed that the power lights on the laptop and docking station were on constantly, which would seem to indicate that the laptop had not gone into standby mode (lights should blink). Nonetheless the computer was unresponsive and the displays were off.

1 Message

April 3rd, 2013 14:00

I have the same exact issue, also on a Latitude E6530.  Dell Support, please advise!

April 4th, 2013 06:00

Hi Rick,

Would you be able to help me diagnose the problem a bit? I'd be interested to find out:

* Which version of Windows you're running.

* Whether you replaced the hard disk with a disk from another laptop. I took my hard disk from my old Dell Latitude D630 laptop so that I could use my existing Windows installation and all of my programs and data, but it's possible that this is causing the problems.

Thanks,

Alistair

29 Posts

April 15th, 2013 23:00

I am having a very similar issue:

* Dell e6530, with Win7

* with or without docking station, it happens that the computer comes from itself out of sleep (you can see that because the "on" led is turned on) but the screen stays black and the computer does not react to any input. This can happen with closed or open lid (it does not matter).

* my suggestion is that this could be connected to the wake-up-lan (or -wlan) settings. I just disabled them in the system settings for the lan card, to see it they were the reason. I will revert to you here if I have any results.

May 10th, 2013 04:00

I think I might have discovered the cause of my problem: my Crucial m4 SSD. There is a new firmware update for this hardware that has the following fix:

"Resolved a power-up timing issue that could result in a drive hang, resulting in an inability to communicate with the host computer. The hang condition would typically occur during power-up or resume from Sleep or Hibernate. Most often, a new power cycle will clear the condition and allow normal operations to continue."

That sounds very much like the problem I was having. So I'll wait and see if I experience the issue again, and post back to this thread if I do.

May 14th, 2013 10:00

I've had the issue another 2 times since updating my SSD's firmware, with a slight difference from before:

* Windows goes into standby as before, and when I try to resume it, the screen is blank and there is no response to input, as before.

* I power off the laptop with a long press on the power button as before, and then power it back up.

* Now Windows successfully resumes from hibernation (hybrid sleep).

1 Message

October 5th, 2013 08:00

The similar problem of e6530 with win7 not waking up just happened to me 2 days ago after using it for almost 10 months. Not sure why it just happened to me and not earlier. Please help!

October 19th, 2013 09:00

I've been having the same problem with my e6530 with waking up from hibernation. It's been a problem for many months and I was too busy with other issues to pursue this. When I searched this was first in the list and I'm dismayed Dell support has NOT replied. Apparently they don't have a solution.

10 Posts

October 21st, 2013 08:00

Same problem with my e6530 as well. Sometimes it resumes just fine from sleep or hibernate with no problems...other times it either won't sleep or hibernate (seems to be going down, but lights stay on and it never fully goes to sleep/hibernate mode), or it goes to sleep/hibernate and occasionally doesn't wake up or resume correctly (lights come on, but screen remains blank). I noticed on resume from hibernate, I would get the windows resume screen as normal before the screen would then turn blank with no response.

FWIW, I'm on Windows 7 64bit, and I did replace the HD with SSD and loaded a fresh install of Win7 on it. 

1 Message

November 7th, 2013 16:00

Add me to the list of 6530s that won't wake up. It happens when the screen goes off after a few minutes and then I can't coax it back into life. Only solutions, if you can call them that, are closing the lid, leave it for a few seconds and then open again or, at worst, do a forced shutdown of the machine and then restart it.

I am a long way from being an expert on this, so very grateful for any suggestions please, especially from Dell. Running a stock machine, as purchased in April 2013, with Windows 7.

November 9th, 2013 02:00

Same problem here with E6400 and M4400 running Windows 7 64-bit. I found that if I remove the Logitech USB mouse receiver before trying to wake the system the screen comes on. I wonder if this helps for others?

Any ideas on whether this is specific to one type of mouse or USB device?

No Events found!