Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2013 15:00

Left palmrest heat

Hello guys.

I recently bought the new Inspiron 14R 5437.

Since the first day I bought it, I've noticed something: the left palmrest was really warmer, making me feel uncomfortable when I put my wrist there.

I've checked the temperature, and it was about 50~55ºC while I was using the internet. I know that the temperatures are normal, but even with that, I still feeling uncomfortable. 

I already contacted the Dell Technical Support, and they told me that everything was fine. But, I'm teeling you, I'm not feeling good with this notebook. It's not normal to feel this heat. I cannot even type well with this.

What's is wrong with it? Is that supposed to be happen? Is it normal? 

27 Posts

November 16th, 2013 17:00

Hey man, seems like you're the right guy to answer me that, as far as you got a lot of dell's notebooks, lol.

So, let me explain you more.

The notebook is really new, I bought it in about a week. Obviously, it stills in warrantly. 

I've already contacted dell twice, and they told me that EVERYTHING WAS FINE. They can't send a tech to my house, at least not without veryfing a problem with the ePSA diagnostics. They made a remote test and, once again, told me that I didn't have nothing to worry about. I tried to explain them that the problem wasn't in the software, but it was in the hardware (at least I think so). But they answered me saying that if it was, they could see it in the ePSA.

So, could you suggest me anything to do?

I guess I'll take the notebook to a technical assistence that is near to me house, to see what they think. But I'd really appreciate your opinion.

BTW, Have you tried to use any of these news inspirons 14R? I don't know if this heat is common in all this new series, or if it's an isolated problem.

Thank you very, very much!

90 Posts

November 16th, 2013 17:00

I think that is pretty warm, I wouldn't know what normal was, but feeling that much heat could be a sign of a heatsink/thermal paste issue. I think you should have a dell tech look at it while it's still under warranty.

90 Posts

November 16th, 2013 18:00

Obviously, Dell support doesn't understand you can dehydrate beef at 150°F (55°C). However, since most of the time they operate what seems to be scripted lines, I would say you contact order support and request a return since they refuse to support the system post sale.

To me near scalding temps on the surface is a manufacturing defect. 

I could understand if you had your hands near the exit vents, but the palm rest has the palm rest plate and the plastic top plate, which means to me the system is much hotter than even what you feel.

If you were not under warranty, I would of suggested you reapply arctic silver. But, you are and they should be taking any measure required to insure your satisfaction is met. 

I generally get great support from Dell, so I encourage you call again and state that if corrective action isn't taken you will insist on a full refund.

27 Posts

November 17th, 2013 11:00

I'll try to contact them once again and require them to fix it.

If they not solve it soon, i'll go to the justice and sue them. Maybe it'll solve.

Thanks for your help.

No Events found!