Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

October 18th, 2011 12:00

Lifeline for XPS M1730 Customers

Are you a former Dell XPS M1730 customer?  Do you still use this machine and want to ensure it's graphics card/battery longevity stays healthy, until you can upgrade or trade-in for a better model?

THEN LISTEN UP!!!  There is currently a topic on the Dell IdeaStorm area, proposing the company investigates the possibility of granting upgrades to M1730 users for their GPU to an "NVIDIA Optimus"-friendly chip.  Unlike the defunct GeForce 8 & 9 series, these are optimised to provide users with maximum graphical performance without killing the battery every six months and the power supply every year, and prevent overheating found with the 8700M GT and 8800M GTX mobile processors.

Please ensure this endeavour is enacted by promoting the topic and sharing your views, located in the following IdeaStorm thread: http://www.ideastorm.com/ideaView?id=087700000008ZipAAE

We thank you for your support.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 18th, 2011 18:00

Good idea - not going to happen.  The costs of doing this - even if it is possible - and the small pool of buyers would place the price well over $1,000.   Would you pay $1,500 for a new video chip (which could well require a new mainboard too) on a system that's at least a couple of years old?

2.2K Posts

October 18th, 2011 18:00

While I wish you well, what you are asking seems doubtful to happen.

If Dell allows for this on that machine, it would open the door for all owners of older higher end machinies to request the same treatment.

Just the parts alone would likely be expensive.  Then on top of that, you are still dealing with a four year old machine with a four year old motherboard, four year old processor, etc... It just does not seem worth that cost.

Also factor in that Dell would have to pay to reengineer that four year old machine, with no real return on that cost, and I really doubt this wil go anywhere.

I do admit it will be interesting to see how it goes.

No Events found!