Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

November 27th, 2008 09:00

M1330 Reinstallation of vista MULTIPLE TIMES

just got this computer. I have ad to do a clean install of the OS twice already with the help of dell. I haven't pit anything new on the computer and am virus and spyware free. Yet my computer froze again.. and the startup tool is useless as is a system restore. it looks like I may have to do another reinsayll. number 3 in 3 months! something is very wrong and I am no longer sure what to do. I cannot have a compouter that does this every month.  This is my 3rd dell but it may be my last. Love te computer. Hate tat i need to do reinstall every month

any ideas?? what could be the problem?

22 Posts

November 28th, 2008 10:00

thank you. I am running diagnostics now and will let you know if anything comes up thanks for all the imput. This has been very frustrating~

22 Posts

November 28th, 2008 10:00

one error code. 0142  mesg 2000-0142

unit 1 drive self test failed status byte 79

still running it but this error came up pretty quickly

2.8K Posts

November 28th, 2008 13:00

The diagnostic results coincide with what Darrell has stated. The hard drive is indeed failing. I must say I'm surprised none of the reps in XPS support thought to have you run the PSAs. :emotion-4:

22 Posts

November 30th, 2008 06:00

me too :)  thank you to you all for helping be my diagnostic team when the dell one failed ;)

I will been calling them today as I have been on vacation

I guess they decided to treat the symptoms and not the cause. also kept insisting i had a virus. It has been a very frustrating experience for me .. I had already been on the phone with them well over  6 hrs between all the calls :( and I still have one more call to make

3.4K Posts

November 30th, 2008 08:00

Hello again,

Good luck, and please tell us how the call goes.

March 23rd, 2009 06:00

i am having the same issues.  I have been on chat through my desktop (with XP) for over 16 hours with my m1330 issues.  Dell kept on having me do os reinstalls and wants me to pay extra for Dell on-call.  After my reinstall I do a windows update and then it goes into either a black screen or start up repair. 

What did Dell say this last time about the hard drive failure?

2.8K Posts

March 23rd, 2009 08:00

edventure73,
Your issue doesn't seem like it's the same as dobew's based on how you're describing it. Have you been allowing Windows to automatically download and install updates or do you have it set to notify you when new ones are available so you can take a look at them to see what they're for before you download them? I've seen the problem you posted about caused by a video driver update being downloaded from Microsoft.

21 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 08:00

there is always an answer for every question, being negative doesn't help any positive men. answering your question, they are may things that can course the problem but your problem is not coursed by all of those thing's. what you can try is to check you cpu if is not overhearting, run the dig test to check out the problem, i know the dig test will help you a lot, to run the dig test you must press f12 on boot up. then run the dig test.

2.8K Posts

March 25th, 2009 12:00

No new ones yet, just the same question from my previous post (which went unanswered).

March 25th, 2009 12:00

I am one of the most positive men that I know, but when you get different Dell reps telling you the same thing and the issues are not fixed it gets frustrating.  Thanks for the dig test info.  Dell had me do a dig test and things were fine.  Any other thoughts?

No Events found!