Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2013 05:00

M6400 RAM Upgrade

Dear all,

I've just bought 2 brand new 4GB ram module for my DELL Precision M6400.

I checked the Corsair website for compatibility before choosing and foud out this part number would fit my needs: CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9 (2x4GB module DDR3 sodimm).

They shipped today and I tried to install them in slot c and d, following dell manual instructions.

Once finished I powered on my laptop BUT: caps lock led started to blink and no bios started up.

I tried to remove the two modules several times, installing one at a time...same result!

On the manual it is reported that caps lock blinking = memory compatibility

Is that true? Do I have to blame Corsair for wrong information?

Thanks in advance for your kind reply

1 Message

May 10th, 2016 05:00

You can increase your computer memory by installing memory modules on the system board. If you incorrectly replace or install a memory module in your computer, it will not boot. There are no memory size limitations between the DIMM A and DIMM B sockets. However, if you add memory to the DIMM C or DIMM D socket, special configuration requirements are needed: If you add memory to the DIMM C socket, the memory size must match the memory size in the DIMM B socket. If you add memory to the DIMM D socket, the memory size must match the memory size in the DIMM A socket. For example, if you increase DIMM D to 4 GB, you must also increase DIMM A to 4 GB. Note that the DIMM A socket must always be populated

6 Posts

September 7th, 2017 14:00

Solved! I know this is an older post but maybe I can help some others that are having this issue. I did the same thing as spaceodyssey.  I had two 2 gig sticks in slots A and B and purchased two 4 gig sticks. The computer would not boot with all four sticks in place.  It would work fine with either pair alone, just not all four together.

It just makes sense that you would put one matched pair in slots A and B and the other matched pair in slots C and D. The info from DELL-Nikhil D supported that. The rank on the new pair is 2Rx8 and the original pair is 1Rx8.  I thought that might have been the problem. I was getting ready to buy some different RAM.

I had messed with this and researched it for days till I came across this instruction in the Setup and Quick Reference Guide: "When upgrading or replacing memory modules, the modules must be paired and matched in slots B and C, and in slots A and D. Otherwise, the computer does not boot."

I put one matched pair in A and D and the other pair in B and C and it's all working together just fine. That fixed it!  The manual is on the Dell website here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/precision-m6400/manuals

The information in this forum from DELL-Nikhil D about populating RAM slots on the M6400 did not work for my situation and I believe is incorrect as it contradicts the Dell guide quoted here.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

February 26th, 2013 06:00

Hi spaceodyssey,

Flashing Caps Lock light indicates that the memory is believed to be good but it is about to be exercised (such as when shadowing the BIOS and when testing / zeroing all memory). It could also indicate that the system is not accepting the memory module.

Please try a different memory stick, also check the computer is able to boot with the old memory sticks in it, this is to isolate the problem between memory sticks and motherboard.

Kindly post the results.

To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6

50 Posts

February 26th, 2013 08:00

could it be an issue to do with the speed of the units??

February 26th, 2013 08:00

The pc is able to boot with the old sticks. I don't want to replace the old sticks, but add these two new sticks to slot C and D.

Unfortunately I don't have other sticks to make some tests.

I tried with one single stick on both slot C and then SLOT D with the same result. I also tried to wait for at least 10 minuteswith the led blinking but no boot.

February 27th, 2013 02:00

Update: tryed again with the two sticks in slot c and d.

Caps lock flashing for 1 minute and than on (no blinking)...from the manual caps lock on, fixed, means hd failure...but removing the sticks the system boots normally. Any idea?

February 27th, 2013 03:00

Update2: I also tried to remove ram sticks from slot A and B and tried all the possible combination but no success.

Even a single new stick in slot A and nothing in other slots: no boot. this let me think the memory I bought is NOT supported by my M6400 even if the Corsair website stated the contrary...

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

March 1st, 2013 10:00

Hi spaceodyssey,

Precision M6400 has four memory slots: two are located under the keyboard and two more under the bottom access panel. These four slots are separated into two channels. Memory modules installed must be identical in each channel or the system will generate and LED code for a memory error.

The chart below shows the proper slot locations for all memory configurations.

Please reply for any further help.

1 Message

February 6th, 2014 15:00

Dell-NIKHIL D,

Thank you very much for this information. I just tested this and it resolved my issue. I was trying to add two 4GB RAM sticks in slots C and D when I only had 1GB sticks in slots A and B. After moving 4GB stick to slot A and the other to B it works just fine. Much appreciated!

1 Message

March 10th, 2014 21:00

Can I run 2, 1GB RAM Cards and 2, 4GB RAM Cards? if so, how would I configure them.  I see "A", "B", "C", & "D" in the RAM locations on my M6400.  "A" & "B" are under Key Board and "C" & "D' are under bottom panel.

Thanks for your help,

Jerry

3 Posts

May 15th, 2015 07:00

I realize that this is a very old post. However, I just purchased a refurbished M6400 and am having similar issues.  The laptop came with 4GB installed with two 2GB sticks installed.  I want to upgrade to a total of 16GB.  So following the diagram above, I put in four 4GB sticks and got the wonderful blinking CAPS Lock mentioned above.  I tried the sticks in each different slot.  I did not let it blink for more than 60 seconds before removing the battery and trying again.  Do I need to wait longer?  Is there something in the BIOS that I need to change before installing the memory?

Here are the type of memory sticks that I put in. Crucial 4GB Single DDR3-1600 ( PC3-12800) x4based, high density, 204-Pin SODIMM Notebook Memory CT51264BF160BJ

I am actually planning to send these back and get the ones shown below.

No Events found!