Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2017 13:00

M6500 & the dreaded black screen w/FX2800

Hi everyone. My M6500 has the FX2800 and the dreaded black screen issue. Very irregular and a well known problem. This issue is not heat related-I did re-paste w/ Artic Silver etc and the temps are good. My question is can I use the ATI video card?. I know it is listed as an option for this model. But do I have to use the heat sink set-up that came with the ATI or can I use my FX2800 set-up and just change the video board out? I would prefer to use just the card. Thank you for all your help and info  

2 Posts

October 19th, 2017 04:00

There is nothing wrong with the power supply nor anything else.

Go to device manager and un-install the nvidia fx adapter. DELETE IT. Once done. Re-fresh the changes icon and the system will automatically select a generic vga display adapter. Your problems are fixed.

The issue is the nvidia software. Once its taken out. Ur fine. However. Not having the correct driver for the display does have its draw-back but it gets rid of the problem of black screen ect.

And your welcome.

2 Posts

October 19th, 2017 11:00

Nutbusted.

I have tried the ati graphics card. And it had same problems.

My suggestion will again be that u run the lappy on safe mode and delete the display adapter. And use a

Genaric vga display adapter. Once done. Reboot and see if the problem does come back again.

The problem with these black screen was not hardware related. It was software issue. And it never got updated nor fixed. Even dell dont like to talk about it.

The system is designed to go into power saver mode if and when it detects extreme heat. To prevent

Any damage. This also inc turning screen blank. Blue. And frozen system.

So. Try it. If it solves ur problem then it will save u some money instead of wasting it.

I also suggest that if u use ur lappy often. Invest in a high end laptop cooler.  It will help manage ur sysyem head. My laptop has beem on for past 3 years straight now. And no problems.

Good luck

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

October 19th, 2017 09:00

Hi nutbustd,

If you are changing the graphics card, these are the Dell validated alternatives (followed by the Dell part number)

NVIDIA, Quadro FX 3800M, 1GB  p/n: 8XFNX

NVIDIA, Quadro 5000M, 2GB p/n: D73P8

ATI, FirePro M7740, 1GB p/n: XHX4F

ATI, FirePro M7820, 1GB p/n: VYGKK

The heatsink and fan are included in these part numbers but don't have separate individual part numbers so I can't say with 100% certainty that they are interchangeable with the different cards (although from the photos I have, they do all look the same)

No Events found!