Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 14th, 2017 09:00

Memory upgrade issues for Dell Precision M90 laptop workstation

Hello,

I recently purchased a Dell Precision M90 laptop, it is in great condition for second hand.  I love this line of laptops, they are very strong and metal.  I needed a robust system to load visualstudio and SQL server on, and run applications of that magnitude.  I bought 2 new Ram modules, 2gb each for it, it came with 2gb total, 2 1gb modules, I want to total it to 4gb, I read the specs and got PC-5300 667mhz, but when I turned the machine on, the three lights by the bluetooth light just kept blinking, it would not boot.  I put the original modules in and the machine works just fine.  So, I decided to buy the brand that it came with.  It came with samsung.  So I looked on ebay and got the 2gb equivalent to  the 1gb it came with, I got the : Samsung module: M470T5663QZ3-CE6: PC-5300S 667mhz.  My question is, is this the right Ram modules that will work on the Dell Precision M90 machine, if not please tell me which 2gb modules I need to purchase.  Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 16th, 2017 07:00

Hi Ramnaths246,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that the memory you purchased doesn't seem to be working with your system.  For the best results, always purchase from someone reputable like Dell Spare Parts or places like Crucial who warranty their parts.  Here is some information you may find helpful: http://dell.to/2yrPrhJ

October 17th, 2017 17:00

Hello,

First of all, thank you so very much for replying to my post/question, second, my appologies for the double post, this is my first time using this fourm, when i submitted the post, i did not see it, so i thought it did not go through, so I re-posted.  I was unaware that posts are subjected to proofing before they are made available to the forum.  I will delete the other post if it is possible to not cause confusion.

Well my theory was correct, the Samsung module: M470T5663QZ3-CE6: PC-5300S 667mhz modules worked right off the bat.  The machine recognized it, configured it and worked like a charm. . I preceive that Dell configured the Precision Series to only work with certain components parts.  Given that Samsung is the manufacture that they use for the memory modules, it's the only one that works with the Precision Series.  I have a Precision M65 that I use for work.  Back in 2008 I tried to upgrade the ram with Kensington and it did recognized it, but it did not seem to work well.  Applications seemed slower, visualstudio took longer to compile programs, so I just reverted to the original Samsung 1gb.  It work to my perception better, even at 1gb.  Well, I decided to try the Samsung modules that I bought for the M90, they were the same bus 667mhz speed.  The machine is flying, applications are running so fast.  So, the take away is, for the Dell Precision Series machines, upgrades should only be done with original manufacture components parts.  Using other third party parts will most likely not work and you would be wasting your money, quite possibly,  they may harm the machine.

I upgraded the memory to 4gb, however only 3.25 is usable, nevertheless, the machine is flying.  I currently have the T5600 M processor installed.  I decided to purchase a new T7600 M 2.33MHZ processor to get the optimum performance.  For around 60.00 I was able to upgrade the Precision M90 to what I call, a *** of a machine.  I got 7 2gb memory modules for 26.00, (that's 14gb of ram for $26.00, unbelievable deal, all works like new) I have enough memory to upgrade 3 machines (which I did with the Dell Precision M65).  I got the T7600 M processor for 18.00. I had to get a 130w power adapter, the laptop did not come with one when I purchased it from the seller, I got one for 15.00.  The machine is 10 years old, but was built to last.  It's perfect for my needs.  I could have got a new model, but it would of cost over 3,000.  With this Dell Precision M90,  I am set for years to come.  Thank you DELL for making quality products for generations and generations to come.  I will always purchase a Dell product above any other. Dell starts for quality, dedication, innovation, and superiority.

No Events found!