Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2016 22:00

Missing Power Plans brand new xps13 (Heat issues)

G'day,

Looking for guidance re: a really hot machine and missing power profiles/control.

I just received by new Dell XPS 13-9360 Core i5-7200U X2 2.5GHz machine today.

I've been modifying power options, and found that I ONLY have a balanced profile with very little control over settings. I have no access to what others have mentioned, such as power saver or high performance. All I've been able to view or change is setting options to sleep, hibernate, or turn off.

I've accessed this through the control panel and the intel graphics settings.

I only use laptops on a hard surface. It was shrink wrapped new, so the vents are likely not blocked by dust.

My main concern: Using only word and a web browser, my keypad is already running quite warm. I'm not a gamer, I haven't been watching videos, but within 20 minutes the keyboard itself is really warm. The fan is running continually. Since the entire point of my laptop is to do a lot of word-processing writing, email, and research browsing, this doesn't bode well for my main source of work. I purchased the xps13 for great battery life, but it seems to only be granting about 4.5 hours.

What are my options or possible solutions?

Dr.Pyrate

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 29th, 2016 13:00

:emotion-2:

I'd suggest you enter service tag number [or run Detect Product] onto link below.

www.dell.com/.../

After you enter tag number, update Chipset & Video drivers, and System Utilities in correct (installation)order. Please click on link below;

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 29th, 2016 14:00

Or....

Run the Guide Me option to detect drivers for your system. Please watch Dell video in link below to learn how to run it. Good darn video I might add....

How to find Drivers and update them (Official Dell

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

You also have a 'Urgent' BIOS update on your Dell product page. You should consider updating it as well. Please click on link below:

Update System Setup (BIOS) for a Dell Computer

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Lastly.....

Please click on link below:

Dell portable system heat issue or the system is ...

EDIT:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

After you enter service tag number, update Chipset & Video drivers, and System Utilities in correct order. Please click link below:

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

I'd suggest you enter your serviced tag number (or run Detect Product) onto link below.

www.dell.com/.../

No Events found!