Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2012 05:00

Motherboard temperature too high ?

Hi,

Recently i bought a new dell laptop, it is a dell inspiron 15r n5110 model, ( i do not know why it has such a long name). 
My previous laptop was a dell inspiron 1525 and i was very pleased  about it so i decided to get another dell laptop. This new one has an i3 sandy bridge processor at 2.3 Gz, 4 Gb DDR 3 and a nVidia 525m with 1 Gb graphic card. All things fine until here.

The problem is that after 2 months i bought the laptop its motherboard adapter broke,  the laptop just didn't want to start when pressing the power button. In
service they told me that motherboard adapter  burnt and was replaced.  Ok, now the laptop is back and i monitor the heat of motherboard with
"Speccy" program which indicates only with Firefox open (i am on windows 7 ultimate) an average 48 Celsius degrees which for me seems a lot, after i start a pc game Civilization 5 (recommended system requirements processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU memory: 4 GB RAM Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better) and play a little bit 30 - 40 minutes then the heat rises to 71 Celsius degrees thing that worries me, i was playing this game also before the motherboard to be burnt, could this be the reason for first laptop's issue the fact that i was playing this game ?

Which should be the average temperature of motherboard  ? And which is the maximum that can handle in terms of long running time for this laptop (the previous dell laptop when was over heating was just restarting but this one.... ) ? I am afraid that in these circumstances 48 C as average and 71 C sometimes will burn the motherboard again aftera while, i am right ?

Why this laptop got this good specifications regarding processor, graphic card, dynamic memory since its motherboard  cannot handle them on their normal usage ?  ( i am so disappointed about this, but may be i am wrong )

Should i stop playing this game because it can burn the  motherboard  ?

I also mention that the cooler seems to work fine since it always push hot air depending on laptop's temperature and has a normal usage sound. (as an escape after for instance playing this game for 2 hours the keyboard gets very hot on its left side where i believe that the processor is)

Please let me know about this if you got an idea. 

23 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 08:00

What is a motherboard adapter?  The fact is your 15r Just meets the requirements of the game you are playing and you didn't provide enough info to make a good suggestion..  Your I3 is a 2.3 dual core.. the recommended  1.8 quad would most likely out perform it due to the 2 extra cores. The Nvidia Gpu is only average and based on the benchmarks and best suited for lower detailed games less than 720p.

I would ask you, what the ambient temp is?  How long are you playing the game? where are you putting the notebook? (on your lap, a table, your bed etc etc. what resolution are you running).

71c is actually not that bad considering it's well below the CPU's max rating. Always check and compare CPU and GPU benchmarks when buying any computer if you play games.

23 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 13:00

I'm not saying it won't run the game or that its a sub standard system but based on the requirements you posted you are close to the minimum of what the game requires.. Keep in mind that the game is not the only this running. On that note, from you last comment it sounds like maybe you GPU is whats heating up and not the CPU. Read this review of that GPU and judge for yourself, Keep in mind 720p is 1280x720 and you running above that.. www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-525M.43889.0.html

My suggestion would be to get a cooling slice to assist the GPU in getting rid of some of that heat or lower the resolution so the card is not working so hard.

Find you card on this list www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html Notice it is a class three card and read the description of the class 3 GPU category.

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 13:00

Thank you for reply, the "motherboard adapter" is the mainboard, i hope you understand what i mean by this.

So you want to say that this laptop cannot handle in "normal" circumstances this game, the problem came from processor ? , i am so disappointed to hear that, the previous 1525 inspiron with 2 Gb RAM, 1.86 Gz dual core and an Intel video adapter at something like 300 M could start it but only that, anyhow the civ 3 and civ 4 worked on that one with no issues and it was buyed 5 years ago ! ( and also never broke) , and this new one cannot handle a nowaday game, what should i say about games which will be released next year :( .

The ambient temerature is something like 21 C, i was playing the game something like 3 hours then a break of 2 hours and then 3 hours again but not each day, there were days when i never play it. The laptop is sitting on a table and i am running in 1366 * 768 resolution (recommended by windows).

The cpu has a lower temperature something like 45 C when playing, the mainboard has the biggest temperature something like 71 C, and i believe it is growing while playing more.

What info should i also provide ?

So, as a conclusion this laptop does not support this game (and is not a resources expensive game), i am so  disappointed , it seems that game development is far away form hardware resources development since with previous laptop i was playing with no issues 2 generations (civ 3 and 4) of this game and with a new laptop i cannot play its current game generation (civ 5), i somehow cannot believe this since i got a nVidia video adapter which should be far better than an Intel video adapter for playing...

I should also mention that they cost me the same in 2007 the insipiron 1525 was 500 euros and thie one was something like 490 euro 2 months ago.

Could an external laptop cooler improve the situation ?

3 Posts

September 24th, 2012 12:00

Ok, thank you for your answers.

No Events found!