Nath RG
6 Indium

My DELL XPS 15Z screen issue.

Jump to solution

My Dell XPS 15z model laptop display screen is suddenly turning to noising with vertical and horizontal scattered color lines. This is happening every 15 to 30 min and when the mouse cursor is activating after automatically resuming the screen normally. Previous year Aug, my warranty period was over and I have faced so many problems with this laptop in warranty period. I went service center in Chennai, India and no use to recover my problem. Please help me on this and I am disappointing with this laptop as I have more expectations with this before purchase.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

RE: My DELL XPS 15Z screen issue.

Jump to solution

Does it happen only while on battery? If so, try the following:

Right click on desktop > Graphics properties > Display > Set Refresh Rate to 60p Hz

Then

Power > Power Source: On battery > Uncheck Display Refresh Rate Switching.

The reason why you ran into this is probably that Windows automatically installed a generic display driver.

21 Replies
cic78
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I guess you upgraded to windows 8.1? In that case, your Quickset application is causing the screen problems. This only happens when using the laptop on battery and never when pluged in. Your options is either to uninstall Quickset or wait for dell to update Quickset to support windows 8.1, which dosn`t look so promising.

Nath RG
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Hi CIC78,

Thanks for respond.

Genius !!

Yes, Exactly what you said is going on my laptop. I was upgraded to Windows 8 (Not Win8.1, yet to update) from factory installed Win7 and now using. What will be the impact if I uninstall Quickset application from my laptop? Where can I find the updated version of Quickset application from DELL?

0 Kudos
cic78
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I doubt Dell will put any efforts in updating Quickset for this system. But  you could try to enlighten the support team  or quickset developers about the issue and maybe they do something about it.

0 Kudos
gilbertdell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The exact same thing is happening with my laptop, also after upgrading to 8.1. However, I can't seem to find Quickset anywhere on my computer. It's not listed as a program and isn't running as a process at startup. Is it possible it's hidden somewhere else?

0 Kudos
Nath RG
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I can find the Quickset application for Windows 8 in below link. I will go to try with my laptop and will see the difference.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/xps-15z?driverId=CV6WD&osCode=W864&fileId=3156620118&languageCode=EN&categoryId=AP

0 Kudos
MrRash
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yeah, exactly the same issue with me. 

Can I just uninstall quickset? What impact will it have... I have the latest version installed anyway.

I have no hope of Dell bothering with this issue as they never bothered to update the cypress touchpad drivers either a while ago when Windows 8 released. This laptop cost over a grand at launch... Ridiculous. Lack of support is astounding. Making me rethink about buying Dell again as they drop support of previous products as soon as new models are released.

2funky
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
You absolute genius. I have had this issue for months !! Googled everything and couldn't find a solution. Even called Dell and they said it could be software related and sent them a video similar to the one attached. This has been driving me absolutely crazy!! Great to see some people out there who know there stuff. Dell = pointless help!
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution
I had a very similar problem with my 15z, and discovered it was a bad wireless card. The screen looked nearly identical to the video in the post. Try disabling the wireless card via device manager first, or to make sure, remove the wireless card from the motherboard. (It is likely an intel 6230N card, though could be a 7260.). In my case, I swapped RAM, Hard drive, and battery as well as clean OS installs, but with no success. It was changing out the wireless card that solved the problem! If disabling the wireless card solves the problem, replace it with another wireless card. Fortunately, they are readily available and not too expensive (about 25-30 USD)
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution
Note to my post - to clarify, the distorted screen in my case ALSO often occurred with moving the mouse cursor and resume.
0 Kudos